1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

While The Martian has slipped into my Top 10 Movies of the Millennium List...I think The Big Short was the best example of filmmaking in 2015 and should win the Oscar.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I watched "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" for the first time this past weekend. At times, I had a hard time following the plot and the theme was pretty dark right up to the conclusion. However, I liked it and thought Richard Burton was very good.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I finally got to see "The Big Short" last night, and to echo thoughts of others on this board, it was outstanding. Great acting as you would expect, and an interesting way to tell the story. People may scoff at the periodic vignettes (Margot Robbie in the tub, Anthony Bourdain in the kitchen, Selena Gomez playing blackjack) but it did help me understand the whole housing collapse issue better. And all this from the guy who usually directs Will Ferrell comedies.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sicario, disappointing. Not worth a pay per view.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Hail Caesar‬ is a hilarious film that pokes fun at Hollywood, while maintaining a love for the glamour of show business.
    Only critique of Hail Caesar is it may have had too large a cast. Only Josh Brolin's character is one that's really developed.
    In the end, Hail Caesar is a Hollywood movie that makes fun of itself like you would do with a loved one.

Liut likes this.
  6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

‪Eddie The Eagle‬ takes some liberties with the facts, but is still a fun, inspiring sports movie about a guy who never gave up on his dreams. It is formulaic, sure, but you don't mind because of the strong performances and a wonderful story.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This description reminds me of one my all-time favorite comedies - S.O.B. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Thanks, Ron.

RonClements likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just don't find the Eddie the Eagle story very inspirational.
    I have nothing against the guy personally. He certainly had a lot of guts and will.
    But in reality, it was kind of clown show - a guy who went to a sport's premier stage and gained fame for being bad at something.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Straight Outta Compton.
    Pretty damn good. Bummed on how little there was of MC Ren.

10. Force Awakens - not impressed by that Ep4 copycat.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You really do hate fun, don't you?

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Three movie weekend courtesy of Redbox.

Ricki and the Flash. Meryl Streep was enough to get us to rent it. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.

Inside Out - Not that I'm an expert in the field or anything, but this movie should be required viewing in all adolescent psych classes. It's brilliant.

Maze Runner: Scorch Trials. Liked it more than I thought I would. Not bad for something out of the teen/young adult genre. Coulda lived without the zombie stuff (I'm really sick of zombies. Why don't they just go ahead and die already?), but I guess it kind of falls apart without it.

Draft saved Draft deleted