1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horace and Pete

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Louis CK's new thing.

I paid the 5 bucks to download it then uploaded it to my Google Drive.

It's strange and good and bad and over-the-top ... sort of a combination of Actor's Studio and SJ.com on steroids and whiskey and Red Bull and quaaludes ... no rhyme or reason but held together with the semblance of a storyline that centers on strangers in a twisted dive bar that's been in the family for 100 years -- always owned by a Horace and a Pete -- and touches on issues of mental health and bitter family relationships and cohabitational May-December dating ... and the entire thing is in real time ... the first 8-10 minutes is about Super Bowl 50 and Peyton Manning and Cam Newton and the Iowa Caucus ... some rather cheeky language and phraseology that we here tend to use ... and later on they get into philosophical debates about liberals v. conservatives ... it's a mishmoshy clusterfuck of something something something and you can't quite turn away.

Louie CK, Steve Buscemi, Alan Alda, the wife from Sopranos, other recognizable faces.

I don't know what to think because it's good and intriguing but awful but I do know I'll shell out 2 bucks for the next episode and 3 bucks for the one after that.

Watch it: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x01_1080.mp4 and feel free to share it since CK pretty much encourages people to share it around once they've paid for it.

JackReacher likes this.
  2. Songbird

It's still processing because it took a while to upload.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

It was different and far from a laugh riot (not that it was meant to be), but overall I was glad I watched it. Alda was tremendous -- never seen him play anything like that.

I will happily support this kind of art so that more will be produced, the same way I contribute to a lot of my favorite podcasts. I may not love all of it, but I'm really glad it's there.

4. Songbird

Alda was great except for the few times he pushed too hard. Not sure I liked CK's character.

Also forgot that Steven Wright is in it ... the Norm! but as Steven Wright would play him.

5. Songbird

E2: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x02_1080.mp4

Already much tighter with Louie'esque humor and much more of the millennial flavor i.e. talking about swiping. The lighting and photography in many scenes is gorgeous.

6. Songbird

I'm hooked.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Had time for only the first 15 minutes last night. Think I'm gonna be hooked, too.

8. Songbird

9. Riptide

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think that idea requires its own thread: "SJ.com: HOF?"

11. Songbird

Episode 3: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x03_1080.mp4

It's like the opening scene to Inglourious Basterds (without the end result) ... a serious long drawn-out monologue about a woman who tells the story of how she showed half her vagina to her 84-year-old father in law and then fucked him. I'm 23 minutes into this insane opening, and it's not over.

12. Riptide

Yeah, starting to lose me a little there ...

Draft saved Draft deleted