1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, we're all on Twitter. What about Facebook?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Feb 5, 2016.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It would be worth your time to check your media company's actual traffic from Twitter. In many cases, it's in the single digits. Only 17 percent of U.S. adults use Twitter regularly. WE'RE all on Twitter, yes; but are your readers? A Facebook presence is important too, as well as the other platforms mentioned. Ultimately, it's all about driving traffic back to your web site.

Flash likes this.
  2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If this happens anyone with fewer than 10 or 20K followers can stop tweeting because they'll get buried in timelines. Might as well start learning SnapChat now, y'all.

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I would imagine that the algorithm timeline is going to be an option, not forced.

5. Rhody31

Not according to the internet. If you check the hashtag #RIPTwitter, seems like Twitter bout to be Facebook minus the family pics.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wonder which news organization decided that having their reporters Tweet play by play at MLB games, NFL games, etc., was a productive way for their beat writers and columnists to spend an entire game. What a fricking waste of time. Bean counters ... you tell me the value in that. I know what you are going to say ... it shows the reader your organization is at the game and watching the game closely and will have stories later! How the hell is that making you any money. All it's doing is driving good writers out of the business because they have only so much work in them and live tweeting a sporting event is such a waste of time for a good writer it's beyond belief. Let some grunt do it from the office if you must.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And, remarkably, the internet is wrong. Twitter has already said it's an option, and when you refresh the timeline it will default back to most recent.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Rhody31

No one told them to tweet play by play. They do that because they're awful.
    Live tweeting isn't about play by play. It's about having a personality. You make jokes, provide instant analysis, throw some GIFs in there, add info people watching at home might not see. Since most reporters have zero personality or are too afraid of violating some BS journalism code, they end up being horrendous at Twitter.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I am. Some of them are really naughty, as in Penthouse Forum Naughty, in their older years.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

And how are those jokes and insights helping make money?? At best they'd be helping Twitter. Readers aren't stupid. They know who is covering the game and know where to read the game stories, features and columns. Tweets are not helping the bottom line at all, just burning out great writers who shouldn't be Tweeting and cheapening their work. Good for Twitter to get all this unpaid reporting on the Twitter site. Way to use the media and not have to pay a cent.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Maybe not related to the original question, but ...

I was at a shop where the bosses decided it was a super great idea to have everyone's Tweets (from watching on TV) about an event like the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Academy Awards and similar big events feed into a big Twitter-gasm on the paper's web site.

If you said you had other plans, like going to a Super Bowl party where you didn't want to be staring into your phone the entire time, you were badgered into doing it like everyone else on staff. So we'd all do it and pat each other on the backs the next day (with no answer to the question if anyone outside the newsroom liked it or provided any feedback).

Then when the timecards were turned in, the bosses were horrified when I claimed that time as working. "But you're just building your personal brand, you weren't working!" I was told. Then when I said, "I was told I had to do this, and it was used as content on our site. What do you think an HR director or labor attorney would tell you about that time?"

studthug12, HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

OCR failed at this with the News Mob. Tweet Mob?? Uhhhhh, no.

Draft saved Draft deleted