1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl 50

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 26, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why do you need the rights to air some of it, as a news story? Fair use doctrine

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think this was a for-profit film, and all music has the be cleared, doesn't it? That's why you always see "Happy Birthday" in the credits of various movies.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't think Facenda's talk about "Injun Joe Kapp" would fly today.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did we miss this yesterday? Goodell, at the press conference discussing brain injury:

Goodell, at his press conference today when asked about brain injury: “There’s risk in everything. There’s risk in sitting on the couch.”

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Roger Goodell: 'If I had a son, I'd love to have him play' football

But hey, he would let his son play.....if he had a son. And he doesn't. Um....

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I have been sitting on the couch all night in fear over this revelation.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It was... okay. Probably because I knew the whole story at various points in the last 30 years.

Yet the letter from Buddy Ryan was pretty touching.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

We all know the truth: The NFL has no moral center on this, no defensible posture, just marketing. Goodell is doing the bidding of owners trying to maximize revenue and duck the true cost of their business. “Let’s remember that the entire organization is just meant to enhance the bank accounts of 32 families,” Nowinski says. “They’re trying to use our children to make money.”-Sally Jenkins. Washington Post.

10. YankeeFan

In their defense, what moral position could they take on this?

If they were honest about the problem, the only solution would be to alter the game to the point where it was unrecognizable.

Football is organized violence as entertainment.

11. heyabbott

The moral position, which Goodell and the owners lack by intention, is full disclosure. Yes it's a risk, and here is the risk. And here is a lifelong policy to care for your health care. That's the moral position.

But Goodell has to make sure that 32 families maximize profits AND increasing franchise value. And the 4 biggest media companies in the world need their NFL partners to be a fully viable money printing press. So the NFL doesn't have a moral position and there is no one to call them on it in terms of morality.
    The NFL CBS NBC ESPN FOX Daisy Chain allows for the coverage of individual stories, but it stops there. Leave it to the dying print press or independent film

12. YankeeFan

I don't disagree that it's the moral position.

But, admitting to it would result in the game be changed in a way as to make it unrecognizable to the one we know today.

Draft saved Draft deleted