1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road trip: Do it or forget it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Distance aside, if you rent an SUV, you will have enough space for camping gear so that you can split the difference and camp out when it seems nice enough and you are in an appropriate location and stay in motels if you're not.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Logistics and cost aside, I think it's great that your wife wants to do this with you.

I am guessing it would end up being one of those trips you'd remember for the rest of your life.

Both for what you see and who you're with.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Do it.
    I've done plenty of sort of long (17 hours) trip to Mount Hood from Summit County, CO a few years back a few times in a row. All out of my Subaru, camping along the way. But then again, I like to drive and love to camp.

You could look into renting a camper van as well.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Definitely need to spend more time in VT, especially Waterbury and Burlington.

Same with Portland (ME). Mrs. Fly and I went on a last-minute decision for one day, and could've spent three or four more working our way through the restaurants/bars/breweries.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That book is also the source of Steinbeck's famous Interstate Highway system comment: You can drive from one coast of America to the other on the interstates, and see none of it.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Vermont was built to drive. The 45 miles from Downtown Bennington to Main Street Brattleboro -- or vice versa -- is my favorite stretch of road. Curves and swerves and windows down and volume up and enjoy that hour of solitude. And then enjoy great food in either destination.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Didn't spend any time in southern VT, unfortunately. Mainly Montpelier, Waterbury/Warren and Burlington (mostly south of there, Addison area) investigating Mrs. Fly's dead relatives (we called this trip the Beer and Cemeteries tour).

One thing we noticed in New England (especially Vermont) is the cemetery locations were among the most scenic plots of land. Unbelievable views and vistas.

Matt1735 likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do it. Just don't go overboard on the RV size. Get something smallish.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I'd do it, but without the RV. Get a decent-mileage SUV and camping gear, if you have the urge to rough it.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of the places I new in Burlington, VT, are still around anymore:
    The Iron Wolf, the OP and the Daily Planet come to mind. The first was a great place for upscale dining, the second was a good dive bar and the last was a good place for casual dining.

I'm assuming Nectar's is still there for fries with gravy.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's pricey to rent, but a Mercedes Sprinter is the perfect vehicle for a trip like this. Almost all the comforts of a much larger RV but it drives like a van.

Draft saved Draft deleted