1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Playoff Thread: Championship round

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 19, 2016.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You guys who watch the NFL more closely than I can confirm, but is it true that Belichick championed moving the PAT back in order to make it more competitive?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It's definitely 20-20 hindsight, and going for it with 2-1/2 minutes to play was a definitely no-brainer. The first one, though, was one of those 50-50, damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't decisions that cause coaches to drink heavily. You've still got 6 minutes, a defense that's played a good second half and a Hall of Fame QB who's done this before (although he was getting the hell beat out of him). I probably would have taken the points there, but Belichick wasn't necessarily wrong for the choice he made. They had a good play called, but Broncos defended it expertly.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A little dab will do ya

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's the
    Is there any doubt that if the Pats had scored on that play, and went on to win, that everyone would be praising Belichick as a total genius again?

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Yes and it's been making me laugh the more I think about it. Just a subtle twist of the knife.

Not really, because it wasn't a stretch. I preferred field goal because 46 yards in Denver shouldn't be a problem (aware he missed the XP). Even if they converted, they'd still need to go another 29 yards and then convert a 2-pointer conversion to tie. My preference was kick, play defense - as someone mentioned, maybe DEN playcalling would have changed, but they're still protecting the clock - and then get a TD to win.
    I don't have a problem with going for it, just hated the call at that point. It's telling your defense and offense the same thing - you don't think they can get the job done.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Panthers-Broncos! Yay!

(OK, be back later)

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Well, that was enlightening.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hooray!

Draft saved Draft deleted