1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Comic book fans seem to accept anything if you call it a retcon or reboot or restart or reset or new universe or different reality or different timeline.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seems a bit obscure. I think apeman was correct.

And based on Buck's last post, he must not know many comic book fans.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Also the fact that both are CW shows made me lean toward Smallville for the joke.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've got a lot on my plate today and hope someone can find me a link to someplace that might be selling one of these. 1981 Sampo color TV with 2 5-inch BW monitors.

A friend wants it for his birthday. Thanks in advance.

Screen shot 2015-12-14 at 9.39.48 AM.png

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Started watching Jessica Jones and am now through ep5. Very good show. A very villianous villain. Unlike Flash and Supergirl, it's not real cartoonish. I watched the 1st 2 episodes of Daredevil and haven't had the desire to watch anymore. It was very slow developing, but JJ hooked me. They clearly reference the Avengers and the incident in New York.

The first couple of seasons of Arrow were good, but that too got too cartoonish.

6. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

[​IMG]

Idris Elba returns to TV as DCI John Luther this week (somebody tell IJAG).

Starts tomorrow in the UK with a one hour episode in a two-part mini-series on BBC One. Episode two will air on Tuesday December 22 in the UK. BBC America will combine the two episodes and air them together this Thursday December 17th at 9:00-11:45pm ET. The extra 45 minutes added is for commercial time as BBC One is advert free. Strange setup as the UK views Luther first but receives only half of the series before the US audience can view the whole series.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I loved Daredevil. Gets into newspapering after a few episodes.

8. Started the Netflix series "Making a Murderer"
    Its akin to Serial podcast. I watched two episodes, but I don't think i'll finish it. I was familiar with Avery before the series. And yeah, he was absolutely wrongly convicted for rape.
    This series comes off to me a advocacy piece that firmly thinks Avery is being set up by a crooked system hellbent on putting him back in jail. It's crap.
    The timing is great though, as it taps into the anti-police garbage that's all the rage. But I don't have much doubt of Avery's guilt with the regard to this murder.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Power watched my way through the last 4 episodes of Jessica Jones. I thought it was a great series. Dark, intense, well written and after 13 episodes the characters were pretty fleshed out and nuanced. It may be based on comic books but it was in no way cartoonish. So much better than Flash, Supergirl and Arrow.

I can see now that season 2 will be more of an origin story arc, but I'm looking forward to it. It's also pretty clear that DareDevil will somehow cross-over JJ as Rosario Dawson is in DD, JJ and the upcoming Luke Cage series.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The woman that bastard killed was the sister of a Green Bay Packers front office guy. And there is no doubt in my mind that Avery did it.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought they could have cut it down to about 8 episodes, but JJ was very good. DD is better, though, IMHO.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Then you need to watch the whole thing. I finished it yesterday. Yes, it is advocacy, but the video of uninterrupted testimony and interrogation is merely a picture of what happened. It's beyond disturbing this could happen in the United States. If you think he's proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, we live in different universes. Furthermore, if the courts don't have enough evidence of misconduct ON ALL SIDES in the nephew's prosecution, I don't know what they need.
    I would say, by the way, that I also thought the uncle was guilty of the second crime two episodes in. Then I watched the rest of it. O.J.'s lawyers would have loved to have a tenth of what Avery's had.

Draft saved Draft deleted