1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How close (or far) do you live from where you were born?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I spent ages 4-18 about 1,000 miles south of my birthplace in what I consider my hometown. Thus I'll use where I grew up as the signpost. The stats:

College: 330 miles northwest of my hometown (but in the same state).
    First seven years out of college: 164 miles east of college and 180 miles north of hometown (all in the same state).
    Currently: 1,330 miles northwest of hometown in the Heartland, but 675 miles due west via I-70 of my birthplace.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I live down the hill from the now-closed hospital where I was born (0.6 miles).

It's about a 2-mile walk from my place to the center of the neighborhood where I grew up.

Farthest away I lived was a brief spell in Michigan (~700 miles). I've lived 375-450 miles away from here for lengthy stretches.

3. I live 2 miles from the house I grew up in and have been within 10-15 miles of it all of my adult life. Family is important and they're all nearby. Always wondered what it would have been like to have moved to a different city — maybe the Washington, D.C. area, a beach town, or somewhere like Nashville or Charlotte that seem a little less hectic than Atlanta has become.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Currently, 936 miles.
    Have lived as far as 1,013 miles away.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

According to Pew, 37% of Americans live in the town in which they were born and never left it.
    Another 20% leave the town but remain in the same state.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have never lived more than 300 miles from where I was born. My sister coincidentally lives less than 5 miles from that hospital. We moved to what I consider my hometown when I was 2, and my house now is no more than 8 miles from the house I grew up in. I moved about 150 miles away for less than a year and otherwise I have lived in/near my hometown since we got here in 1974. Both sisters are within 200 miles of me.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Currently live 29.7 miles from the hospital, 26.1 miles from my childhood home.

Furthest has been 460 miles during one year of college, still in-state.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm 182 miles from where I grew up and went to college.
    I lived 650+/- from there for many years when I lived outside of D.C.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A long, long freakin' way.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Boo.
    :)

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I live 106 miles from the hospital I was born in. Lived in three nearby communities growing up and lived at home while attending the nearby university.
    Have lived the past 30 years where I am now.
    I have only lived in 7 places in my 55 years, four as an adult.
    My wife on the other hand, has probably lived in 20 places, including three countries (military brat) and five states.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

About 300 miles, but I was born while my dad was in college.

Draft saved Draft deleted