1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Reds beat writer -- Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 21, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Enquirer Media, part of Gannett Co. Inc., is in search of a dynamic writer to take our award-winning Cincinnati Reds coverage to even greater heights. Our Reds reporters cover the MLB’s oldest and most-storied franchise for an audience that spans the globe.

The Cincinnati Reds reporter works together with another writer to provide primary coverage for The Cincinnati Enquirer, Cincinnati.com. The team’s coverage also appears throughout the USA TODAY Media Network, which includes more than 90 news markets nationwide.

We want a leader who is intensely focused on content and the best ways to connect with our audience across any platform from social media to print, with an emphasis on original coverage and analysis. A proven record of covering professional or major college sports is a must. We’re hiring for creative content and a traditional media background is by no means mandatory. Fluency in Spanish is preferred but not required.

We expect breaking news, fan engagement, in-depth features and unexpected enterprise on this highly competitive beat. A rock-solid work ethic is essential for this year-round endeavor.

The position is based in Cincinnati, where the quality of life is high and living expenses are low compared to many MLB cities. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, generous vacation policy, 401(k), and more.

Please submit your resume and cover letter when applying.

Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.

Career Opportunities: Cincinnati Reds Reporter (76602)

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Have always thought it would be great to cover an MLB team. Cincinnati isn't one of teams that made me think that, though.

Potter likes this.
  3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Who is leaving the beat? Didn't they have 2 guys?

4. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Who left the beat? Always thought their guys did good work under tough conditions. The Enquirer's sports staff has been cut to the bone.

Covering a major league baseball team would be great. Working for Gannett?? Maybe not so much. I'm too old for that.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

If the Reds are the MLB's most-storied team, this job was listed in 1977.

In all seriousness, though, Cincy is one of the few truly MLB-first cities left out there. Goes without saying this is a potentially great job for both launching pad or settling in as a lifer purposes.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

John Fay took a buyout from Gannett. Trent Rosecrans is still with the Enquirer, or so I believe.

7. ctr

ctr New Member

To answer a few questions:

• John Fay, unfortunately, took an early retirement buyout.

• I'm still on the beat.

• If you only want to cover your favorite team, well, this isn't the job for you. In fact, this isn't the business for you.

• If you've thought the baseball beat would be fun, this isn't the job for you.

• Say what you will about Gannett, but I'm pretty sure I've never been told no while covering my beat. This is a paper that values sports and puts resources into sports because this is a community that cares about sports.

The fact that this is a two-man beat (as is the Bengals beat) tells you our money is where our mouth is.

Both writers spent the entire spring in Arizona, both staff most home games and we split the travel 50/50. I see this as a partnership and want to continue that way. This isn't a backup job, it's part of a two-man team.

• The stories that will matter with the Reds these next couple of years are beyond the gamers. This is a team that will likely lose 100 games next year and possibly for a season or two to come. For some that sounds awful. For some -- and many of the veteran writers I know -- this sounds like an amazing opportunity. They may not have the easiest stories, but you could have some of the best. If you want easy, the baseball beat isn't for you.

• Spanish skills are a plus.

• If you're interested, I wouldn't dawdle

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Trent pretty much nailed everything. I can't vouch for the money situation because I worked at a smaller Gannett shop until a year ago, but they do pour resources at least into Bengals/Reds. John was there forever and it is something you can build on. If you want a baseball beat, this would be a helluva opportunity to build your brand or continue it with the way the Reds are heading. I'd do it if not for working at my third shop in a year and I have some issues with them hiring a third/fourth sports editor (a bit of a red flag) less than a year and I'm not ready to go home yet, which is Ohio. But I'd move quickly like he said. Spring training is around the corner.

9. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Does it pay six figures??? I'm serious. My guess is no.

Because if it doesn't, it isn't worth for all the time you're going to put it.

Now, when I was a 20-something sports writer starting out, I probably would have felt differently. I would have worked for next to nothing. But I've learned what it's like to get a decent paycheck since I left the business.

10. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

No one gets rich off this business. But I bet it pays more than what I'm getting as a pagination, and I've had a $7,000 jump in pay in 14 months.

11. Brandon Biskobing

Brandon Biskobing New Member

How do you apply? I don't see an e-mail or anything on the post

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

you can probably apply on the gannet careers website

Draft saved Draft deleted