1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe Bryant announces retirement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Nov 29, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think people are forgetting how dominant Shaq really was.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

People hate Kobe because he's an unabashed asshole. Something they inexplicably choose to ignore when it comes to Jordan, yet hold against LeBron.

And, Shaq was better during the Lakers' threepeat, but they added completely different dimensions to the team.

Tweener and SnarkShark like this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Exactly -- there has not been a post player my 35 or so years of watching the NBA who was as good as Shaq was during that time (1993-5 Hakeem being close). Everything ran though him.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Kobe never once shot 50% in his career. And just once in 20 years did he shot 50% on just 2-pointers. He's not in the top 15 in my book. Jordan, by contrast, shot over 50% in six season, including five straight, and was comfortably over 50% in those seasons. Take out those two joke seasons in Washington, and Jordan was over 50% for his career.

Also, Kareem is being crimanally under-rated in this thread.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Let's not forget about Shaq... by the midway point of his career he was a fat tub of shit who waited until the start of the season to have surgery because he wanted to rehab on "company time."

He was dominant for 10 years. He was out of shape and didn't give a shit for the next 10.

And yes, Kareem is being criminally underrated.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And finals MVP in all 3 titles he won with Kobe.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Got that right. Kobe was the Barry Bonds of the NBA.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Answer me this: how many Top 10 players of all time missed the playoffs in their prime? How many were bounced in the first round in consecutive years?

For all the bullshit talk of how rings define a legacy, people seem to overlook how Kobe was the reason the Lakers couldn't get him free agent help after he ran Shaq out of town. Nobody talks about that.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He usually is.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's something needy about Kobe Bryant. Something needy that isn't even prideful, really, just kind of needy.

When I think of "asshole" I think of people who consistently, obliviously don't give a shit, like Barry Bonds or one of those Busch brothers in Nascar. Kobe is a calculating person. I think he would have benefited from college more than most.

11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Kobe was not an asshole but he was an extreme introvert, totally dedicated to basketball who never developed social skills and alienated teammates and the press. He never had anyone to give him good advice, hence the fashion shoot.

Unlike say Big Ben, he wasn't a rapist who got away with it, he was the victim of an unstable gold digger and a racist prosecutor. I understand why people don't understand this because of instead of demanding a trial and suing the girl and the prosecutor, he punked out and gave a mealymouthed statement and gave the girl money so it would go away. This may have been in his financial interest in the long run so I understand why he did it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thank you, Manky!

cjericho likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted