1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13 thread: The league tries to hide its horrible officiating

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 1, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And don't get me started on replay in baseball, which is the most godawful thing to happen to the sport.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Chris Johnson out for the year and Andre Ellington doubtful with turf toe.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You don't like getting things right?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Johnson is not definitely out for the year. They put him on the IR that would allow him to return after six weeks, so he may end up taking part in the playoffs.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

white players aren't usually allowed to score

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure replay gets it right, particularly on plays around second base. Replay on the boundaries is great. Foul balls, home runs, I'm in.

It's difficult to reconcile the neighborhood play (which protects infielders from injury) with replay. A baserunner who beats the throw and is called out because his body is hovering a half-inch over the bag, but not contacting it, should be safe.

It's similar to the NFL in that you can't properly enjoy or celebrate a big play because you have to hold your breath and await the decision on the replay, which they botch half the time anyway. Never mind how long it takes for them to return with a decision. It detracts from the game.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

#WhiteTouchdownsMatter

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

IR designated to return means he is out for eight weeks. He can practice after six weeks.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks. That sounds more like what I thought it was than the report I heard.

Point being, he still could play again this season.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Generally, beat up their girlfriends and take as many drugs and PEDs as humanly possible.

Seriously, you compare a player's off-season workout routine to an official's?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If only all replay systems were as seamless as tennis'.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Why do you need to reconcile the neighborhood play with replay? Those plays aren't reviewable.

Draft saved Draft deleted