1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe Bryant announces retirement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Karl Malone is very close to top 5.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You must never read any of the threads on race or religion. And for your sanity and happiness, I hope you'll never start.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nobody needed to stop Bob Cousy. His .375 career shooting percentage stopped himself. And I've really never thought of John Stockton as "unstoppable."

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great shower...

For the record, Olajuwon and Karl Malone get top-10 mentions all the time.

I always flip-flop between Olajuwon and Kareem. I never do on Karl - he just doesn't belong. He was great and one of the most durable players ever, but he's still behind Tim Duncan and probably Elvin Hayes, too.

The rest of the guys you mention are great players. They're just not the best of the best. Dr. J, in particular, would've been if he had managed to sustain what he did in the ABA throughout his whole career. But he didn't.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Moses Malone was better than Olajuwon IMO. Not that the latter wasn't great.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

You're clearly drinking. Kobe isn't cracking the top 10, let alone top five. In 20 years, he had a single MVP award and it could easily be argued that he wasn't even the best player on his own team for half his career.

old_tony likes this.
  7. Songbird

And Jordan was a glorified scorer without Pippen.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

JackReacher and JC like this.
  9. Songbird

Well, Devean George definitely belongs in the conversation.

10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

What's your point? That even Jordan played with another Hall of Famer? That's not being argued. Magic and Bird played with more than one -- at the same time, for that matter. But they were always the central figure. There's maybe one or two years where they weren't the best player on their team. You can't say that about Kobe. And for every argument about the two rings Kobe won without Shaq, you have to consider the multiple lottery years while Kobe was in his prime.

11. Songbird

Yep, they 3-peated because of Shaq and turned to lottery shit because of Kobe.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A couple things that have struck me about Kobe the past two days...

1) People have an odd compulsion to try to denigrate his ability. He was a GREAT player. Anyone arguing that Shaq was better than Kobe in those years really wasn't paying attention. I've never liked Kobe much, but I'd have a very hard time arguing he isn't top 10 all time.

2) I've heard some extended conversations in the national media trying to figure out why people hate Kobe so much, and oddly, they never seem to bring up the rape allegation. I think there are plenty of other reasons, and I think a lot of people who decided they just don't like him focus on that far more than they would with someone else... but damn, dude was accused of rape. That kind of hurt his image.

Draft saved Draft deleted