1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New site - The Big Dog has the Floor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

OK, strange post here, but I am launching a site, and I'm planning to use it to post some of the letters and other writings of my late father. He died about a year ago, and he left behind a large volume of letters and other pieces he'd written.

Some of it is humorous; some of it is not.

There's a lot of material about conservative politics and traditional Catholicism, family, growing up in the Bronx during the Great Depression.

There's not much content up there yet. One blog entry from a thank you letter he wrote that I found quite funny, and another letter to my sister's grammar school when he forgot to send in the yearbook check. I'll be adding more content going forward.

The site is mostly a shell right now, but you can check it out here: The Big Dog has the Floor

This is something I've been thinking about for the past year, and I'm launching it now as a project for a class I'm taking.

You can sign up for the email newsletter at this link: Follow the Big Dog.
    That would be a huge help for me.

You can always unsubscribe down the road if you don't like it, but I could use the subscribers for the next three weeks.

You never know. You might like it.

Feel free to slam me for posting this.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The thank you letter cracked me up. Thanks for sharing; looking forward to more posts.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Really loved it too.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Cool, thank you for checking it out and I'm glad you liked it.
    I'll update the thread when I get some content up this week.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, did Jenny become a salesperson?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, she's a surgical nurse.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

At least my assumption was wrong and I won't be seeing talk of seven-streamers.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Buck,

How did you get these letters? Did he not send them? Or did recipients get them back to you?

Just curious.
    VB

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

He sent them, but he kept copies of almost everything he wrote.
    I've got copies of business memos and letters that I'm unlikely to post.

He loved to write and he just kept copies of everything. It's been a little over a year now, and I'm much more comfortable going through them now.
    Family members have asked for copies, and I just thought he would like the idea of people reading some of his stuff.
    I'd been thinking about this for the past year, and I'm in a class right now that requires me to develop a site and generate some audience and engagement.
    Speaking of which, sign up for the newsletter. You can always just drop it in a week or two.

Anyway, sorry if I'm being a pest about this.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't think you're being a pest at all. I'm really glad you're sharing these with us.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My grandparents either died when I was relatively young or lived far away and I never heard their stories, so I love seeing a window into how that generation thought. And it's done with a little flair, not dry at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted