1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that there most likely would not be a second season of Jessica Jones until after a season 1 of Defenders.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I watched first three episodes of 'Jessica Jones,' but it didn't do much for me.
    I was kind of the same way with 'Daredevil.' I eventually made it through all of the episodes, and maybe I'll do the same with 'Jessica Jones.'
    I can't put my finger on it, though. I want to like them more than I do, if that makes sense.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

George Lucas still believes Greedo shot first - CNET

Lucas doubles down on Greedo shooting first. I love Lucas for creating Star Wars, but holy crap, Greedo shooting first is the dumbest thing he's ever done (and I include Jar Jar Binks and Shia LeBouf swinging with monkeys among that list).

My question: The story posits that Star Wars fans debate whether Greedo shot first or vice versa. Do they? I mean, really? I've never heard anyone except Lucas defend the idea of Greedo shooting first.

4. outofplace

I also haven't heard anybody but Lucas defend that decision. Now if he had shot it that way the first time around, I wouldn't have argued. Sure, it is ridiculous to have Greedo miss at that range, but at least the motion of the actor would actually fit the direction of the blaster shot. It is his world. He can tell his story in it.

But he did. He told the story. He told other stories and made a point of telling us what was canon and what was not. Then he decided to piss on canon. First he did it by changing the films, with this being the worst example. Then he did it by agreeing to toss the EU out an airlock.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Totally agree on the first part. It was changed in such a ham-handed manner as to be completely ridiculous. I think his logic for retconning the scene is sound. The hero that Han becomes is not the type of person you want to shoot first. But that's not how he told his story.

I don't care that he threw out the EU. That was a financial decision so he could get the most value for the franchise. Disney did not want to be beholden to the EU because they wanted to tell a fresh batch of stories and make the money that comes with it. Cool, whatever. I never considered anything outside the films as canon anyway, even though I enjoyed the Timothy Zahn books and thought they added some great layers to the universe.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I finished Daredevil. Enjoyed it. Was surprised a certain character bought it near the end. Donofrio was great. I felt like Daredevil's first costume was a call back to his look in "The Trial of the Incredible Hulk." (Remember, there was a shared universe long before the current glut.)

Starting Jessica Jones. Don't know a thing about the character. Just know I like David Tennant.

7. outofplace

I completely get why they tossed out the EU. It is still a shitty decision to anybody who paid to read those stories having been told they were officially canon. That was the idea. These stories had his approval. With Star Trek, at least they bothered with a retcon. Basically, the old expanded universe still exists, but so does the new one. Comic books go that route as well. To just toss it all out was lazy.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I hope you also like eeeeeeeeeeevil David Tennant.

9. Thoughts on Jessica Jones on Netflix?
    I watched two episodes last night.
    I dunno ....
    I like the idea of the villain. Loved Tennant's intro last night, but I'm not buying into Jones' character. I find her annoying.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I actually agree. I've always been annoyed by characters Krysten Ritter plays because they are always that over-the-top sarcastic, damaged, cold type. She does show a few more sides as the episodes progress, but the reason I kept watching was Tennant. I wanted to know what fucked up shit he was going to do next.

11. You nailed it ... The sarcasm, I can handle. The damaged, frost queen who's DTF, come on.
    I'll try a few more episodes, but so far not impressed.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted