1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Don't think the Aluminum Monster is available, but I do understand an up-and-comer named Cole Armstrong is turning heads:

[​IMG]

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No way is Virginia Tech a better job than Georgia.
    Richt won at Georgia, he just didn't win enough. He's not leaving the cupboard bare or the program in disarray, and the SEC East sucks. There's no reason a good coach can't come in, light a fire under everybody involved, and put a hammerlock on that division for the next few years. And as we all know, if you can win the SEC you've got a seat at the table for the Playoff.
    Virginia Tech isn't awful, but at this point it's a mid-level program in a mid-level conference. It can be great again, but it's not move-in ready like Georgia is.

3. Again ...
    It is easier to win the ACC - and get a title shot - as Va. Tech than it is to win the SEC, muchless the division, and a title shot as UGA.
    If you win the ACC you also have a shot at the big table.

UGA fired a guy who averaged what 9 wins a season and played for a couple of conference titles ... Va. Tech is replacing guy who's been there since the 1980s. The bar of expectations for the next UGA coach is set really high. The SEC is pressure cooker.
    Va. Tech? Not so much. Not because they don't have the expectations, they have patience and a more realistic handle on things.
    That alone makes Va. Tech > UGA

Move-in ready?
    How long do you think it takes to step up? The Hokies can be on the national stage next year. So can UGA.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

If a guy like Richt gets run out of Georgia, I might like a place like Virginia Tech better anyway.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't see the issue with Georgia firing Richt. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Totally agree. He'd run his course, just like Mack Brown had at Texas.

7. I have no issues with Richt getting canned either. I've stated before he's one of the most under-achieving coaches in the major college ball.
    But averaging nine wins at an SEC school with dreams of contending doesn't cut it as a head coach.
    I got WVU fans who would love to have a 9-win-season average coach.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, if Richt goes to South Carolina and wins 9 games a year, they'll name the stadium after him. Spurrier proved that.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game over.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hypothetically, most would take the VT job in an instant over Georgia.

1. More reasonable expectations.
    2. Decent recruiting turf.
    3. Competitive money, even if it's not the same as UGa.
    4. Much easier path to the CFP.

Georgia folk think the next Herschel is walking through that door.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

1. I honestly don't know how much coaches take into consideration the expectations that come with a job. Do many shy away from a job because the fanbase wants a title? Maybe they do, but I doubt it is a dealbreaker for a good job.
    2. There is no comparison between recruiting turfs. While VT's might be decent, Georgia's is probably in the top two or three in the country.
    3. This is something I know coaches take into consideration, and no one pays higher than an SEC program with delusions of grandeur.
    4. Yeah, this is true.

With guys like Gurley and Chubb, it might not be a stretch to say that the next Herschel has already walked through that door. He just didn't have the right coach/coordinators to take him to the promised land. This is something deluded Georgia fans tell themselves. Not myself. But whoever does take the job will not lack in groundbreaking talent if recruited right.

And every report around here is making it sound like it is Kirby Smart or bust. Basically, it is his job if he wants it. If he doesn't, everyone will know Georgia had to settle for Plan B.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is BS.

Any coach worth his weight in anything would take Georgia over Virginia Tech in a heartbeat, given the choice. If a coach is worried about managing expectations going into a job, he isn't a big-time coach anyway.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    TyWebb likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted