1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Rankings thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Miami?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Correct. No way does North Carolina get in.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bob Bowlsby just kicked back with a glass of Jameson and a lit cigar and said "Thank you boys.......I'm safe for another year."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why did North Carolina play two FCS teams anyway? Did a real opponent back out of a game?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is that more impressive than Ohio State's thrashing of Michigan? Or impressive at all?

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Both Ohio State and Tennessee have cancelled home-and-home series with North Carolina recently, but I don't think either of those series were slated for the 2015 season. Ohio State was 16 & 17, and Tennessee was 12 & 13, I think.

My guess is Fedora was feeling the heat a bit and wanted to soften the schedule this year.

As a fickle Carolina fan, I think the two FCS opponents ought to factor in the discussion, but as Dick rightly points out they'll have one more game than either OSU or Oklahoma. Carolina's loss is a bad one because South Carolina essentially quit after the third week, but they would also have the most impressive win (Clemson) among the group and would be on a 12 game run. They should at least be in the conversation if - and I think it's a big if - they were to win Saturday night.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

So we're assuming UNC pulls the upset and beats Clemson. That would be their only "impressive" win of the season. But does Ohio State have more than one "impressive" win? After Michigan, maybe Penn State? Possibly on the road at VT? I think if you stack up Ohio State's and UNC's schedule after the assumed upset in the ACC title game, they are pretty close. Ohio State probably has a slight edge because of the FCS opponents, but working in UNC's favor would be that it had recently knocked off the No. 1 team in the country AND it was a conference champion. Those are two things the committee would have to take seriously.

The only thing I think the committee could look at to put Ohio State in over a 12-1 UNC would be that the Tar Heels' loss is "worse" than the Buckeyes'. But I think the committee has already made it clear that it isn't weighing embarrassing early-season losses as much as they are late-season wins. See Oklahoma.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think Ohio State doesn't get in unless Clemson or Alabama and Stanford loses. Oklahoma and the winner of the Big 10 are locks. Because Ohio State never looked great (good, but not best in the country good) all season until Michigan, I don't think they get in over a Pac-12 champ Stanford (even with two losses) if Bama or Clemson loses. UNC doesn't have the resume to beat out Stanford and Ohio State. North Carolina needs to win and Bama and Stanford to lose. I don't see all that happening.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

God, the bitching and moaning there would be if UNC jumped Ohio State and into the playoffs. I pray for that.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If UNC best Clemson, it would have a much better "quality" win than Ohio St.'s rout of Michigan, and a much worse loss in September compared to a loss in December to what might also be a playoff team. Seems pretty equal to me.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

UNC also won at VT, albeit in overtime in a game they tried desperately to give away.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not sure about that. "They kicked the shit out of Michigan" isn't that much different than "They kicked the shit out of USC" and I'm guessing Stanford has better metrics.

Plus, I just can't see them taking two teams from one conference.

Draft saved Draft deleted