1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 23, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not really, but they do brag about their bowl streaks and combined number. Nebraska's all over the place noting that it's third all-time in bowl appearance, a status they'd lose (or have to share with two others) if they don't go this year.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You take the trip for the destination. East St. Louis is lovely this time of year.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If he left before the beginning of the semester, he wouldn't factor into the calculations. APR is only based on those athletes on scholarship at the beginning of an academic term.

Further, APR doesn't deal with degrees being earned (or not). It is strictly a season-by-season kind of thing, calculated as a rolling multi-year average. Here's a hypothetical case offered by the NCAA:

Suppose a football team starts the fall semester with 85 players on scholarship. For the spring semester 78 return, but three of those were academically ineligible when they returned. Of the seven non-returnees, five were academically eligible when they left. The program had a possible 170 points but earned only 158 (2*75 + 1*3 + 1*5), so its APR was 929.

Transfers who are otherwise in good academic standing and who go immediately to another four-year institution don't affect a school's APR.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All right, I'm probably getting it mixed up with grad rate calculations.

Nonetheless, any calculation that leaves Rice on the outs because of its academic performance is just a wonderful little slice of the lunacy of college football.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. doctorquant

Agreed.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. You have shirts made up, you're bragging (and hoping to pocket a little extra cash).

[​IMG]

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One thing I love about this site is the depth of spot-on sports knowledge that you can get here, as compared to almost any other place.

Man, guys. That Stanford-Notre Dame game the other night was a barn-burner. Thrill a minute. Last team with the ball was going to win. And the stakes were incredible.

I seemed to recall a poster being shouted down for calling Notre Dame a lock to cover, so I went back to check and see who was the poster who had it nailed after all.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

No one does self-congratulations quite like you, Dick.

SnarkShark likes this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Somebody here does. Who could that be?

Oh, yeah. It's me.

TyWebb likes this.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hope you actually profited from it aside from the gloating here.

11. doctorquant

Don't underestimate the economic utility of gloating.

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

It hasn't been powder blue since 2000. DeShaun Foster (and every other Bruin since) doesn't look NEARLY as good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted