1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 23, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The end of that link was very interesting — about how they choose which losing-record teams get to go bowling.

Originally, something called "Academic Progress Rate" would be used; the top APR scores among teams with 5-7 records would get bowl berths (however many are needed).

Those top APR schools are, in order: Nebraska (985 APR), Missouri (976), Kansas State* (975), San Jose State (975), Minnesota (975), Illinois (973) and Rice (973).

* - Kansas State is currently 5-6 and could beat West Virginia this weekend to reach six wins.

But the ESPN article indicates the APR criteria could be scrapped:

I foresee the "oversight committee" being "persuaded" to make sure 5-7 teams such as Texas end up in a bowl game. Remember, the bowls are about $$$, not "academic progress."

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What the fuck is "unchartered territory"? Is that kind of like those sections of the Constitution that, well, we're pretty sure the Founders, if they were totally rad dudes, would have written?

Batman likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Unbelievable how stupid some of these academicians are.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

They should let zero-win teams in bowl games if it means more college football.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's good to be Joe Schad. You only have to be right half the time.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Part of the reason some 5-7 teams might decline bowl bids is because ADs don't want to pay bowl bonuses to coaches with losing records.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How the hell is Rice behind Nebraska, K-State, and San Jose State in an academic ranking?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What do academicians have to do with college athletics?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd say there will be at least 4. No way do South Alabama beat App State & Georgia State beat Georgia Southern.

Kansas State might beat West Virginia, but even that's a long shot.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess it's tougher to stay eligible at Rice than it is as Nebraska, K-State or San Jose State. The guys who stay graduate but they probably have more guys flunk out as underclassmen.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But don't Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern, BC, and Duke, among others of Rice's ilk, have outstanding football graduation rates?

Draft saved Draft deleted