1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't mean to nit pick. The film had no emotional resonance. That's not a nit pick. It's a serious flaw. What's frustrating is that it kind of didn't need it. Man vs. the elements was resonating for a while. Then they came up with the crew-goes-back solution, and it became standard action fare.

Did you ever sense that Watney was desperate to get back to Earth? I understand that his optimism is a huge part of the character, but I didn't get the sense that he was burning to return.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hunger Games IV, the final installment of the series.

If you haven't seen the other three, or read the books, don't bother with this one. If you have (like me), the film was a solid final chapter that stayed loyal to Collins' story.

More enjoyable to me was seeing all four movies (and reading the books) with my daughter. When the first film came out, she was 11; now she's 14 and a high school freshman who won't be seeing many movies with Dad anymore.

So I splurged for tickets, popcorn and a drink and had a fun afternoon with my daughter.

old_tony, Ace and HC like this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Very cool Coco. We had a similar experience with my daughter, who was 11 when Harry Potter started up. We've also enjoyed Hunger Games together but haven't gone to the new one yet.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Saw Creed with Mrs. OOP. I also mentioned this on the Creed is Good thread. Very much a Rocky movie, with all of the good and bad that suggests. Mostly good. We both found it entertaining.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Stupid, crazy fun. Samuel L. Jackson's on-and-off lisp was outstanding.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It was really entertaining. Totally snuck up on me. Thought it would be terrible, but there wasn't much else to watch the night I decided to rent it. Glad I did because I enjoyed the hell out of it.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I also liked it. Some of it is over-the-top silly, which is an interesting contrast to the extreme violence.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I also wasn't expecting much with Kingsman, but damn was it fun. There are talks of a sequel I've heard.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Finally watched "Boyhood." It was ... okay. I salute Linklater for getting it made but that's the best thing about it.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

'One Day in September' really clarifies the overall happenings with the hostages at the 1972 Munich Games. I'd not seen it until this past week but those Games were the first I was old enough to really follow. I remember the situation there with Mark Spitz and the men's basketball snafu, plus the drama of the hostages. This movie, though, really puts all things into light. It's a must-see, I think, for sports junkies. You need to understand exactly what happened there and prior to watching, I didn't know all of it.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well said.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Saw the Peanuts movie, and enjoyed it tremendously. Lots of the gags fans are familiar with, not too many new twists to modernize it...and that's what made it all worthwhile. Other than the fact the animation is state-of-the-art, this movie could have been made in 1977, and that's fine by me.

I was also happy to see lots of little kids in attendance...and the seemed to enjoy it to0.

Draft saved Draft deleted