1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rutgers' AD: It would be "great" if the Star-Ledger went out of business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

She is garbage. It was bs that a good guy like Pernetti lost his job and a p.o.s like Hermann kept her's.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ace likes this.
  3. I read the first couple of graphs and thought an incident a year and half ago was the tipping point? Geez, what took so long to can her ...
    Ouch.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know a ton about her or the situation there, so I may be speaking out of school. But it sounds, from the few anecdotes I have read, that she is someone who was hired to do a job that requires a fair degree of diplomacy and people skills. Not only didn't she have those qualities, she lacks tact and the common sense to anticipate how her actions might be perceived. It's easy to criticize her, and I am not saying she doesn't deserve it, but the worse sin to me -- since she is who she is -- are the people who put her fundraising ability so far ahead of everything else that they kept a blind eye to what a miserable ambassador for their program she was. Rutgers has made itself particularly unlikeable in the last 2 years.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As someone who has been on the receiving end of calls from her complaining about stories in the paper (or not in the paper), her people skills tend to come down to a choice of doing what Julie tells you to do or doing what Julie wants you to do.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Title of the thread should be changed to "Running Rutgers AD makes ass of self thread."

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

For sipping some beer? How silly. Talk about a total non-story. Hobbs has been fantastic at Rutgers.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For drinking a beer at a public party where cops are rounding up underage kids? The optics of it suck. And I think underage drinking laws are kinda bullshit. I don't care if he does a keg stand somewhere else. He's representing the university at that moment. It's not behind closed doors.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

My outrage at Hobbs' little faux pas is overwhelmingly nonexistent.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    JC likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't think Hobbs did a thing wrong there. This was a case of making a problem where there really wasn't one.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted