1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Rankings thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 3, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tulane run its schedule in 1998. I had no problems being dismissive of its argument for a spot in the inaugural BCS title game.

There are exactly three other Big Ten teams worthy of being ranked. Iowa managed to avoid all of them. It's strength of schedule is 60. If it beats Sparty, then and only then would I not be dismissive of what it has "accomplished."

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No. I assume it will be winner of Clemson-NC, winner of Alabama-Florida (I know which way I'd bet in those games), winner of Mich. St.-Iowa and Oklahoma. Everybody else has two losses except Ohio St., which MIGHT get in instead of NC if it beats Clemson.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Florida has two losses now, so if its comatose offense craps a miracle against Bama, that's one more route for OSU to get back in.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right, I should have noted that. But I believe Florida will be lucky if they're only shut out and don't wind up with a negative number on the scoreboard.
    In re: Iowa. I can't help remembering that the 1972 Dolphins were completely unloved by the "experts" all season long and in fact were three-point underdogs to Washington in the Super Bowl. Playing "sound" (let's face it, dull) football never captures the attention of outsiders. Wins a lot of games, however.

5. BTExpress

Beating good teams captures the attention of outsiders.

BTW, the 1973 Dolphins were much better than the 1972 team . . . even though they lost two games.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Northwestern was 16th in the CFP last week and won to finish 10-2; presumably they'll move higher this week. That's the team that's ultimately keeping Stanford out of the playoff picture. Iowa beat Northwestern 40-10.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. BTExpress

Oops.

That 38-0 pasting they took at the hands of the team that lost 42-13 to Ohio State kind of removed them from my consciousness of quality teams. But they are, indeed, ranked (because they managed to avoid Ohio State and Michigan State, too, but whatever).

"Iowa managed to avoid the three best teams in its conference this season." Better?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sure. I just didn't know we were doing the "Teams You've Beaten That BTE Likes" scale.

Iowa's resume looks fine. If they beat Sparty, they belong; if not, they don't. Pretty simple.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I've been saying this about Iowa since they beat Northwestern. If they win out, including the B1G title game and go 13-0, they should be in. I don't care if they're ranked 8 on Tuesday. 13-0 in a power conference means you're in. That's why it's a power conference, even if the West Division would have a hard time vs a 6 team conference with Toledo, BGSU, WMU and NIU.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A version of that gambit -- "Point out X things that Y has done that I would consider worthwhile, otherwise Y is worthless" -- is a staple among the sj.com NQT caucus.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Iowa could be in a worse division. The Hawkeyes could be in the SEC East.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Iowa didn't make their own conference schedule. They beat every team on their schedule in a P5 conference.

If they win the conference championship game against Mich. St. they've earned a slot. It's not like there's a "prove you deserve it" game after the championship.

One of the crappiest things about the system is that teams who are "traditional powers" get a big leg up. They get preseason ranked before anyone has played a down, and if you are not one of them your team gets less credit no matter how well you do.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted