1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They essentially recruit the same kids. Always have. A big reason VT has struggled recently is that Mike London has gotten a lot of the in-state and DC area kids Virginia Tech used to always get. London just can't coach them once they get there.

Facilities are pretty much a wash and UVA's donors will pay up if they are exciting about the next hire. If not, the program will wither.

I think it gets really interesting in the state if it winds up being Fuente and Calhoun.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Might be official that Saturday is Les Miles's last at LSU:

Report: Miles' final game with LSU will be Saturday

Clearly this "report" is lacking in details, but it did seem like in the last week that Miles's departure went from rumor to all but done.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think Feldman reported the other day that Miles would be fired Sunday or Monday.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ah, didn't see that. I guess that is why everyone was already trying to guess his potential replacement.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's about right, particularly recruiting-wise. I do think it's a little harder to stay eligible at UVA - you see a lot of VT football players majoring in things like Apparel Management. At UVA, it's things like anthro and sociology, which, while among the easier majors there, are still well-regarded departments.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is there any school in the Big Five that could not keep an athlete eligible simply by having him take enough on-line classes?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My sense is that you can't really coast at UVa without doing any work and there's no "NC Central" option like at Duke.

But if you use the tutoring and do what the academic advisors tell you then you should stay eligible.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anybody **could** do it. The question is whether the administration wants to. Places like Cal, Michigan and North Carolina obviously would sell their mothers to have a good athletic program. But it sounds like UVA fits in with the small number of schools that actually expects something out of its athletes.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That escalated quickly. Paul Finebaum killed a guy with a trident.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Calhoun would be a nice get for UVA. But Calhoun has been at Air Force nine years and only missed a bowl once. He must have had other offers similar to UVA. I am sure that Calhoun has a list of places he would leave Air Force to coach at but I don't think UVA would be one of them. I know UVA could pay a lot more but there are better jobs out there for Calhoun to aspire to.

Draft saved Draft deleted