1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh dear lets certainly hope the multi-mult-billion dollar Diznee Corporation can save a couple thousand bucks by not flying down two announcers to the bullshit bowl games.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe they're losing subscribers because they're doing cheap-ass shit like not sending announcers to football games.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that has very little to do with it.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I read in a trade recently that ESPN will be sending just camera ops and a few PAs to some bowl games, leaving not just the announcers but the entire production teams to do their jobs from Charlotte and Bristol, like Speed used to do for F1.

That would save about $30-$50K per game. Not chump change.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I believe they already do that with many ESPN Deportes broadcasts, and have in the past with numerous college basketball games.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Cut $25,000 per team from those games drawing 28,000 fans and a .0000000001 TV viewership. There's your savings. It's not as though teams are going to decline bowl opportunities because they're getting $25,000 less.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nope.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Can see a number of companies trying this in several different sports. We're already seeing fewer of the technical crew travelling as it is.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This would not change my viewing habits at all, so they might as well do it and save a buck. Hell, they could have been doing it for years and I wouldn't have known. As best I can tell, the announcers watch the games from the monitors in their booth anyway because that is a better view than looking down from the press box. Maybe it would even help do away with those inane halftime interviews that reveal nothing more than the team that is losing "needs to block and tackle better."

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can't imagine there are a bunch of sports loving people so offended by ESPN cutting corners on the Bahamas Bowl, or whatever, they will drop ESPN and miss Monday Night Football, Sunday Night Baseball, Duke-UNC and all the other good stuff.

The drop in subscribers is people who didn't watch live sports on ESPN anyway cutting cable all together.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

They can scimp on those mid-week MAC games and no one will notice. MAC is already playing Tuesday's so it's not like they have any leverage.

This is also following the example that many of us don't want to hear.

In this day of every game on TV and DVR, why even staff most sporting events that are on TV? The clicks aren't on game stories. They're on opinion and hot takes.

Draft saved Draft deleted