1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving. Legitimately

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Nov 21, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I have spent the morning being waited on hand and foot by a 4-year-old nephew who loves me.

I will eat these cheese, cracker and summer sausage "samwiches" he keeps mashing in his hand and brining over. But I have been politely refusing his offer to drink from his Gatorade bottle.

HC likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Spending day with godkids and their parents. Everything is cooking and I just made a great comeback to beat the 11-year-old in Sorry, first time I've played it in 30 or more years. She's a buzzard and will pick your guts clean, which she was doing, but I hung in there. Victory is gratifying. Punk kids! Everything else today is frosting on top, and there will be alot of frosting later.

Enjoy your day of turkey, football, and politics, wherever you are.

2015-11-26 12.25.32.jpg

doctorquant and HC like this.
  4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

On Thanksgiving, I am the coolest uncle and the most athletic person when the kids go out to play.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This is the first time I can remember NOT having to go anywhere on Thanksgiving. We're doing it here. Usually, I volunteered to work this day in order to be off on Christmas Eve and Day, and working New Year's Eve and Day. I've been retired for about a year and a half now and things are good. Last year it was with the in-laws (4-hour drive). In the past, I've forced the family to have Thanksgiving Lunch because I had an hour drive to get back for work.
    No more.
    Yes, I am thankful.

WriteThinking and doctorquant like this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Started with lox cream and bagels, coffee and Bloddy Mary with Absolut Peppar. Now onto Pate, goat cheese with wine, aged Gouda, Brie with truffles and salami with Stella Artois.

My wife was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer 7 weeks ago. She has had a lumpectomy, a port installed in her chest, chemo called red death to be followed by more chemo and then radiation.

I'm thankful for each day

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What, no guacamole?? What kind of Thanksgiving is this??

Had to stop by to wish you all a great holiday. Grateful for the many years we spent this day with you, and most of the other days too. Great memories with great friends.

Happy happy Thanksgiving from Boom and me and our psychotic wonderful blended families. Keep your giblets crossed.

Love you all.

old_tony, Lugnuts, cranberry and 4 others like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How wonderful to hear from you, 21! In honor of your post, I am giving you all my late grandfather's pumpkin pie recipe. It's pretty easy, and you'll like it.
    1. Make pumpkin pie.
    2. When it's cooked and is warm but not oven hot, cut a two inch diameter in the center of pie.
    3. Fill hole with Irish whiskey.
    4. Serve when pie absorbs whiskey.

Songbird likes this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Best to your wife heyabbott, and the rest of the family, too. You make an excellent point. Be thankful for every day. Because you just never f-ing know.

Sup 21. Don't be a stranger.

I just kicked my son's ass in Cribbage and I'm very thankful for that. Closed with a rush, he needed to peg only one point and I needed seven. Got the final five with a 31/run of three. He's a little pissed right now but he loves me anyway.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your wife's cancer, heyabbott. My thoughts are with both of you.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    heyabbott likes this.
  11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear the news HeyAbbott my thoughts are with you and your family. Hopefully she's able to beat it into remission.

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted