1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The five best writers, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 16, 2015.

1. T+C

T+C New Member

I can't believe no one mentioned John McPhee or John Schulian. Roy MacGreor in Canada. Did I miss Chris Jones?

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What has Jones been up to? Maybe it's bc he disappeared from Twitter, where I was following him, but I haven't read anything by him in a long time.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought he had a book on Game Shows coming out soon. Looking forward to that one.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mine in the business:

Albert Burneko - Hilarious and cynical about food and politics (and I only agree with his politics about 23% of the time).

Chris Jones - I appreciate the fastidious, almost clinical longform approach, but I also think there's just enough blarney in his stuff (you have to have just a little blarney) for it not to be exhausting.

Bonnie Ford - Just a terrific writer on subjects I wouldn't care that much about if she weren't writing about it. Puts the maze of drug testing elite athletes in some understandable, artful complex.

Manohla Dargis: Not the critic I agree with most but the one who can best examine and dissect with clarity and reasonable brevity. I think brevity is useful in criticism - it speaks to incisiveness. Plus, I think she's pretty definitive without being crude or creating some us vs. them worldview.

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Formidable writer whose magazine articles/arguments are so thorough and provocative that it forces lesser talents to either blithely fawn or lob insults, but whose book - which I encourage people to read - is just a really good, meaty, sharply-written book.

I'll say this: I don't read that much war stuff anymore, so I'm mediocre there. I'm sure Mark Bowden is as great as everyone says he is.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Burneko is too cynical for me.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did I miss the names Buster Olney, Wright Thompson, Jim Murray or Peter Gammons on this thread?

I don't want to say any of the names on this list should not be on this list, but I thought these four would be on here eventually.

7. bostonlocal10

bostonlocal10 New Member

Eli Saslow, Lane DeGregory. I love reading almost anything Dan Wetzel writes. Chris Jones. Baxter Holmes is an excellent writer and does some really good NBA work. I'm going to throw Eric Moskowitz's name in here for non-sports. Agree with the poster who made the comment about Hunter S. Thompson. Terry Southern, anyone?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I would hope so.

studthug12 and YankeeFan like this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bruce Arthur.

10. rlee

rlee New Member

For the NBA, there is Zach Lowe and then there is everyone else. I will post 2 thru 5 after further review.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Karl Malone is very close to top 5.

studthug12, Tweener and JackReacher like this.
  12. Preps

Preps New Member

Frank Fitzpatrick, Philadelphia Inquirer. Writes the Page 2 column every Sunday and he is on a 52-week roll of incredible topics presented in a compelling style.

Draft saved Draft deleted