1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about Mullen's style to know how it would play with DMV high school coaches, but UVA definitely doesn't want another Al Groh situation.

My point was that UVA is an underrated job given what is there to inherit and the fact expectations are never going to be crazy. Mullen could have won eight or nine games a year with the talent Mike London has had.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mullen has his faults, but one thing he's good at is taking marginal talents and turning them into college stars.

Dak Prescott was largely ignored by home-state LSU — which incidentally can't develop quarterbacks for shit — and wasn't offered a scholarship by Les Miles until about two weeks before he was about to enroll at MSU, to which he'd been committed for six months. He's one of three quarterbacks in SEC history who has been responsible for 100 touchdowns in his career.

Benardrick McKinney was a 2-star high school quarterback who ended up an all-American linebacker who was taken in the second round of the NFL draft. He's a starter as a rookie for one of the better defenses in the NFL.

Johnthan Banks was a 3-star "athlete" from a 2A school who went on to win the Jim Thorpe Award and a was second-round NFL pick. He's been a starter pretty much from Day 1 in the NFL.

De'Runnya Wilson was a high school basketball star who played one year of football and had one other SEC offer besides Mississippi State. He's caught 18 touchdown passes the last two years and seems like a good bet to be a mid-round pick in the draft.

And there are several others.

If UVa could get Mullen (and I'm not sure they could), they should jump at the opportunity.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well said, Steak. Damn you for all that knowledge

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I ask this without an ounce of snark.

Why would Mullen want out of Mississippi State?

5. Jake_Taylor

I don't know. What's his relationship with the AD like? Could he be concerned he won't be able to get another Dak Prescott there? Given his track record with quarterbacks I wouldn't think so.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think maybe Mullen realizes that he's never going to win big there due to all the competition in the SEC West (he probably missed his best shot last year). But I think he'll pick his spot, and wouldn't go somewhere like Virginia or Maryland just to get out of Starkville.

Supposedly, he was the No. 2 candidate had Harbaugh turned down Michigan. I doubt he'd get a shot at USC unless a bunch of other people turn it down, and LSU seems pretty intent on Jimbo Fisher.

If Fisher does go to LSU, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mullen land at Florida State.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even by the standards of small college towns, Starkville is really rural and isolated. It's only cleared the 20,000 population mark in the last 15 years or so and is surrounded by open prairie in every direction. Obviously some kids love it, but it can be a hard sell to many recruits. (Oxford is virtually the same size, but much more developed in terms of restaurants, nightlife and off-campus amenities.) To kids from Atlanta, Memphis or Birmingham it can seem like the back edge of Mars.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am sure that LSU wants Fisher but why would Fisher consider leaving FSU to go to Baton Rouge?

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Based on how things are breaking in the FSU sexual assault lawsuit, get out before he's too toxic?

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think Mullen makes a lot of sense at Miami.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There were rumors last season that Jimbo was growing disgusted with an FSU administration that wanted players at least sort of held accountable for douchebaggery and he wasn't doing it. Remember that in addition to Jameis there was a kid who crashed a car drunk and then fled on foot and a couple of others.

12. Jake_Taylor

Larry Fedora to LSU makes sense if it isn't Jimbo, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted