1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did you watch the Daredevil series on Netflix? If you liked that, you will like this one. No need to read further.

I didn't read Alias, the comic book series Jessica Jones is based upon, though I know the character and others in the Netflix series from stories that followed. I think it would be even more entertaining for somebody who doesn't know much going in, but you really have to give it an episode or two.

One of the other characters calls Jones "one hard-drinking, mess of a woman." That works. She has superhuman abilities, but failed at being a hero and now works as a private investigator. She's an alcoholic with post-traumatic stress disorder. We learn the sources of the PTSD as the show goes on.

Krystin Ritter is excellent as Jones and David Tennant works very well as Kilgrave. Marvel Comics fans should pay close attention to character names. There was one I didn't know that would have been a spoiler for the character to some fans. The show is very dark and violent, with some strong sexual content and language, so definitely not for kids.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I dig violence and strong sexual content

3. outofplace

So do I, but I do figure it is worth mentioning as a warning. Some parents might see that these shows are based on Marvel Comics and assume they are kid-friendly. They are not. In fact, Alias was part of Marvel's Max line, which was created for adult content.

I'm certainly sold. I watched 12 of the 13 episodes already.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Just started it last night on a whim, knowing nothing about the character. I really enjoyed Daredevil, so I figured I'd give Jessica Jones a run. I went through three episodes in one sitting before the "holy shit I have to go to sleep" moment. Really good stuff. What has me hooked, at least thus far, is they make the main bad guy, Kilgrave, truly terrifying. Like really fucked up stuff. I'm looking forward to where this is going.

5. outofplace

That version of Kilgrave is excellent. One of the strengths of Daredevil was that it gave us such a well-rounded view of the Kingpin. Jessica Jones does the same thing with Kilgrave. The performances help. Vincent D'Onofrio was great as Wilson Fisk, as is David Tennant in the role of Kilgrave.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Tenant......nothing on the mildly shocking Doctor Who last week? Interest in Capaldi-Coleman seems to be at all time lows.

7. outofplace

First trailer for Captain America: Civil War. And so far, it looks fantastic.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Looks great. No superhuman registration act it seems.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pretty good trailer. Nice first look at Black Panther. Is Hurt still playing General Ross? If so, it appears he's gotten a promotion.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I really thought that would be the main conflict in this one. A lot of the other Marvel properties, Agents of SHIELD and even a little bit in Jessica Jones, are pointing to the growing discontent between "normals" and "enhanceds." I didn't think Bucky would be what divides the two.

Still looks awesome. Really does feel like Avengers 3.

11. outofplace

Yes, that is Ross. I'm assuming this will somehow tie into the meeting Stark had with Ross at the end of the Incredible Hulk.

Also, I've got a pretty good idea why Bucky is what causes the divide between Captain America and Iron Man, but I think that I wonder if well-supported fan theories qualify as spoilers.

Madhavok, my understanding is that there will be an equivalent of the Superhero Registration Act, but there needs to be more because secret identities really haven't been an issue in the MCU.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I don't think fan theories qualify as spoilers. We have all read the comics, most of us have read Civil War and are pretty well versed with the MCU (on screen and in the books). I dare imagine most of us are on Superherohype.com reading threads and such.

EDIT: I wonder if you and I share the same theory revolving around Bucky and why it involves Tony and Cap. Actually, I bet we do.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted