1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The smart play for Miles is to take his $15m buyout, sign with ESPN, and fuck off and enjoy life. He's young enough and rich enough that it would be a great way to go.

I think he coaches because he likes it, so he take the job he gets and rolls on.

LSU, USC, So Carolina, Mizzou, Miami, W Va, so many more. UGA? FSU? Somebody better be lubing the ball bearings on the carousel. Miles, Richt, Jimbo, Chip Kelly maybe? So many pieces in play.

How many meetings at big city airport hotels in the next ten days? I need to lay in some popcorn.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Paolantonio reporting that Chip Kelly-gone-from-Philly is more and more likely. If you're Chip, what's your top 5 list?

Mine would be USC (he knows the West Coast), Georgia (easier path in the SEC East), LSU, SCarolina, and I guess Mizzou. Then again, I don't see him as a down South type of guy.

3. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Re: the Miles buyout, it's not like LSU is going to write him a check for $15M the day they let him go. My understanding is that it's currently structured to be paid out over eight years, and would be offset by any "football-related" income, which includes gabbing about football on ESPN or elsewhere. (I'm not 100% sure on the last point, but that's what I've been told.) So really there's no plausible scenario in which Miles actually collects $15M from LSU (or its better-heeled boosters) given that he does not seem like the kind of guy who will completely disengage from football for eight years.

The Bayou tea leaves seem to indicate that if indeed Les and LSU part ways, which seems likely, they will tear up the current buyout in favor of a negotiated lump-sum payout of a couple mil that would give both sides a clean break. But the $15M figure being bandied about, while technically accurate, is almost certainly not how it will play out.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He could work for ESPN for AFTRA minimum and pocket the huge difference if he wanted. And if I was him, I'd be looking to stick it to LSU all day every day.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dennis Erickson went back to Idaho for something like $200,000 -- a lesser job than he was up for and a deep discount from market rate even at that level -- primarily so the 49ers would get stuck covering the balance of the $2.5 million they owed him.

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Well, then Les can threaten to do one of those things for eight years to drive up his lump-sum payout. Though frankly, it's very hard to imagine him actually doing what you suggest – i.e. taking one or a series of jobs for way, way below market value – for eight long years. And even in the highly unlikely event that he does plan to do so and thus refuses to negotiate an immediate payout, rather than the more likely outcome of posturing to do so to squeeze LSU for as much as he can (which I certainly wouldn't begrudge him), it's a lot easier for LSU/its boosters to finance $15M paid out over eight years than a single $15M check written next week.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sounds like Fuente to VT is a done deal.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just don't see Chip Kelly as a USC guy. There is a culture there that is bigger than the coach. They might want him, but I don't think he'd be interested.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Cheatin' Chip can just go over to Temple when their coach moves up. Or Syracuse. Or anyplace in the Northeast. His abrasive, know-it-all attitude rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in Eugene; they tolerated him because he won big but not many were sad to see him leave after four years of his BS, and NCAA violations.

I'd love to see Petey go back to USC after this year's dumpster fire in Seattle. USC loved him, he loved USC, and he was great with the fans and the media down there. He had a dynasty going there until Garrett screwed the pooch by pissing off the NCAA by not cooperating with the investigation.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I hope so.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Just to throw this out there: if Washington loses to WAZZU on Friday (which I think will happen, regardless of which QB the Cougs play), the Huskies will be 13-13 the last two seasons under Peterson. Any chance the Husky boosters try to get the Chipster to Seattle? His abrasive, know-it-all attitude would fit in perfectly with that program (I may be just a tad biased in saying that) and the fan base seems to think it's still 1991 and their program is top-tier.
    As for Carroll returning to USC, I have a hard time seeing that happening after what the Seahawks did the last two seasons. He built a dynasty and won it all at USC, but since then he's also won the Super Bowl and seemed to have a dynasty going in Seattle. So why go back to a lower level this close to retirement age when he's already done it all at that level?

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I have as many national titles as Chip Kelly.

Draft saved Draft deleted