1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 13 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's the same reason regional sports networks pay hundreds of millions of dollars for baseball broadcast rights.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of all of the things that people grouch about when it comes to sports, in general, and college football, in particular, the number of bowl games is the one that most mystifies me. This is truly one of those times when, if you don't like it, you are free to change the channel.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bowl games I can take or leave, depending on who is playing and the matchups. The only thing that really pisses me off about bowls is that ESPN owns them all.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People go out a lot during the bowl season. It's much better to have a football game, any game, on TV at the bar than a holiday special or NCIS rerun.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Logically, you are correct. Yet I hate the proliferation.

Propagates the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality? Hatred of ESPN? I can't figure out why I hate so many stupid bowls, but I do.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The one thing that irks me about the increasing number of bowl games is I remember when making a bowl used to actually be an accomplishment. Now, all you have to do is win half of your games. But I don't grouch too much about it because it means more college football to watch during the holidays when I'm just sitting on the coach anyway.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Which "coach" are you sitting on and why??

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Mark Richt, obviously, so Miami won't take him.

Big Circus and ChrisLong like this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Let's have fun with this ... Clemson is the best, obviously. El Cid beat Cocky. Charleston Southern beat El Cid. Charleston Southern also beat Coastal Carolina. Coastal Carolina plays El Cid Saturday in the FCS playoffs. Cocky is probably better than Furple, S.C. State, Presby and Wofford, but that's it.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've often wondered about such.

There are tons of production costs involved with sending an entire broadcast crew to a bowl site and programming the game.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just rerun a couple of "30 for 30" episodes instead? Are your ratings for the bowl in Shreveport, La., really so much higher than for your "30 for 30s" that the increased ad revenue will more than pay for these production costs? Is airing this bowl game between two 6-6 teams from Podunk markets really a "cash cow" . . . or is it more of an ego thing for the network so they can say they cover everything?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Same here. I find it laughable when a mediocre team gets to six wins and starts boasting, "We're bowl eligible again! We'll be going to our third straight bowl game!"

Meanwhile, the games they go to are the Weed Killer Bowl, the Ex-Lax Bowl and the Tidy-Bowl, all of which have existed for about three years. Not exactly three years' worth of Rose, Sugar and Orange.

Draft saved Draft deleted