1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

fonzi
    water skis
    shark

i think we all know what has happened here

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You've got a show that is in year five and seems to not have an end point in sight. You've got survivors, bad guys and zombies. It's not as if they have a whole lot left to explore that could dramatically change the dynamic. I'm guessing the second half of the season will feature a showdown with the coyotes and Alexandra will be left behind.

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

You'd be wrong.

The show doesn't follow the source material perfectly, but it hits the major events. And a couple BIG ones are coming, and one or two are coming before the season ends.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know the Glenn thing was very reminiscent of the Sophia chapter. Sophia wanders off, the group searches for her, stumbles upon the farm, Carl gets shot, more people die trying to save him etc. etc. That was six eps.
    I get the non-linear story telling and the lack of a driving narrative, that's fine - i do wish there was some ultimate goal though, because really we're all just waiting around to see if our favorite characters die or not.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just don't get the hate for the Glenn reveal like it's some sort of jump the shark moment. You're all acting like it's out of character for this show. A show, mind you, that put Rick in this very position of crawling on his back in the middle of a horde of walkers and finding some magical place to hide (inside the tank) in the very first episode.
    If you can buy into that but not this, which to me was a more likely situation given the way it was set up, I think you're insane.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Here's what bothered me about it, the suspense for the payoff was completely disproportionate. Fine, the dude's body fell on top of him and that's what the walkers munched on instead of him and while they were distracted, he crawled under the dumpster. All fine. But then do that from the beginning and have the suspense be whether he makes it out from under the dumpster. Even have the closing shot be walkers reaching for him and pan out to the hoard trying to get at the dumpster. Have him screaming for help as the screen fades to black. The payoff we got for the suspense was lame, especially with just how quickly they resolved it at the beginning of the episode and where they went after the payoff. That tells me the writers thought more about dicking with everyone than actually resolving the story line.

MCbamr and Ace like this.
  8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yeah, the execution wasn't great. But I understood what they were trying to convey. Scott Gimple, the showrunner, said on Talking Dead that they wanted to showcase the uncertainty that these characters feel when they split up. Maggie had no idea what had happened to Glenn. That uncertainty can gnaw at a person. So they wanted it to last for a few weeks.

The problem in this day and age is that spoilers get out. Glenn was spotted filming for episodes way into the future. So that ruined the reveal for some who stumbled across that information. And, in a way, the show has already tried a similar tactic when Beth went missing. It even impacted Maggie in a similar way.

I didn't have a huge problem with it like some. But it wasn't their best approach.

Personally, even though I'm a Glenn fan, I have a feeling it may be setting something up for later in the season. We may learn that even Glenn has a limited number of lives. Just speculation on my part there.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stupidity is alive and well in the zombie apocalypse.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Damn teens and their little fights...fucking up society!

So, anyone see the extra prelude during the show 'Inside the Shitlands' or whatever tripe they are trying to shove down our throats? I know who they talk about, just haven't seen it.

11. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Yes. It was Negan's introduction. He meets up with Daryl and the gang. I don't know when exactly this will appear this spring, but it looked good.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  12. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

The best part of this finale was how chill Carl was when Ron was insulting his dad. I also got a chuckle out of Rick's reaction when he thought Deanna was eating his kid.

I just didn't understand the Wolf story line. Ruthless Carol has a gun at her hip, but decided to off the wolf and fend off Morgan with a knife? Then the wolf breaks free, picks up two guns and a machete and spares everyone? I get why he kept the doctor alive, but I don't know why he let everyone else live.

Finally, I won't object if the first scene in February features a walker eating that wimpy kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted