1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am 400 pages in and kinda feeling the same way. Probably why I'm not finished.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Took me 2 weeks to read it ... it rarely kept me turning pages.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There's a great book in the story of John Fogerty and CCR, the great songs he wrote, the great records they made, the turmoil within the band and Fogerty's battles with his record company. Unfortunately, Fortunate Son, Fogerty's new memoir isn't it. There are some good bits but I was underwhelmed.

4. Chet the Jet

Chet the Jet Member

200 pages into "making of the atom bomb"
    Please, please, somebody, anybody tell me this gets easier.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I finished a book called "The Last Jews in Berlin" by Leonard Gross last night. It's an old book -- written in the 80s. He told the story of a handful of the jews who survived Hitler living it out as "U boats" underground in Berlin. All had unique stories. All the people who helped them had unique stories and motivations. It was a really interesting book.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm 250 pages into "Purity" and want to strangle Franzen. But once I start a book my brain requires I finish it.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I finished last week. My meh impression didn't change.

8. Finished King's Bazaar of Bad Dreams. It was solid. Not his best collection of short stories. Prolly three or four I really liked. Two or three I had read before.
    But nothing that stood out.
    He had one poem, which I skipped.

Again, solid.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am not as immersed in Elvis Costello's career as my man PC is - I lost track of it sometime around Almost Blue - but I really enjoyed his memoir. Highly entertaining.

The new Tom Petty bio by Warren Zanes is outstanding. Covers all the bases, all the highs and lows and features loads of new quotes from Petty, bandmates past and present - especially Stan Lynch - and other notables close to the band like Jeff Lynne, Stevie Nicks and Rick Rubin. Highly recommended.

Next up, either Peter Guralnick's new bio of Sam Phillips - been waiting for this one to come in to the library for some time, really looking forward to it - or volume two of James Kaplan's Sinatra bio.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Can you name them? If so, get a free script.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah... I can name exactly two.

Draft saved Draft deleted