1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism ... ethics?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KyleFranko, Nov 8, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If the OP were really concerned about reporting the TRUTH, go on a fishing expedition regarding athletes' criminal records or figure out if any NCAA infractions are taking place.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kudos to Kyle for starting this thread. Always interesting to see the unintended consequences of doing good work.

You'd expect some to say, "Why are you being so hard on the home team? Why not be more supportive. Don't say anything if you can't say something nice."

Would not necessarily expect the reaction to be so strong about the day the story ran.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Speaking from personal experience, the people of Pocatello can be a tad thin skinned.

The job of the newspaper is to examine the hot issues going on with the team, and the hot issue is that ISU is a hot mess. No issues with the timing. Having worked in a Big Sky market where I ruffled a few feathers myself, I understand what you're going through. I wouldn't be surprised if you start hearing about the school threatening to pull advertising, and that's where it gets fun. Because then, the ad department starts to get pissed at editorial for doing its job. That's tricky.

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

How did this edition of your Game Day section compare in rack sales to previous ones?

5. What were your single-copy sales like that day compared to other weeks? I'd lean toward saying that was a mid-week story, if only because I think most fans on gamedays - even the pessimistic ones - are looking for something a little more upbeat or at least analytical. But if your rack sales were up, maybe you did strike an important chord.

6. CAsportshack

CAsportshack Member

As I read this thread, I completely relate. Like Kyle Franko, I work in a Big Sky market and with basketball season under way, the Southern Utah men's team is being praised by the main print outlet just a little too much for having "potential."
    Here are some facts they conveniently gloss over:
    -The team made the NCAA Tournament in 2001. In the 15 years since, they've had exactly ONE winning league season (2001-02, 8-6 in Mid-Con) and one winning overall season (16-14 in 2006-07).
    -Two years ago, the team lost 26 consecutive games, which has to be among the top five all-time losing skids in Division I (I know Towson State has the record of 41 in a row in 2011-12). In the game that broke the streak, they nearly lost all of a 16-point lead with six minutes left.
    -Since the team's last overall winning season, the winning percentage is .320. Attendance at home games is down 41 percent since the current head coach came on board. He has a 23-66 record in three years and has two left on his contract.
    -The team failed to qualify for the Big Sky tournament the last two years. What's saving them this year is the new format where all 12 teams advance to the neutral site in Reno.
    Rant over, but I hope that provides some relatable perspective. It's absolutely foolish to blow smoke in the eyes of readers when they know what gets them excited to read about a team. Winning matters.

7. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Rack sales are up only because of front-page visuals, never content. I know that I am often knocked aside by the hordes rushing to the vendor boxes daily to get their hands on the precious art.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, what't the best way to approach covering a perennial loser? Have you had a manager say to stop covering a program because it can't win and readers don't care? How can you justify your job if you're in a small market, drop coverage of hypothetical lousy program, and there's nothing left but preps?

(Curious, as I've only ever covered preps and news. No college or pro experience.)

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I covered one of the worst basketball teams in DI last year, and what we did was gradually dial back on certain things without dropping coverage altogether. We blew off a late road trip since they had already wrapped up the worst seed in the conference tournament. We stopped doing postgame/next day analysis blogs because I was just repeating myself in every post by the time we hit February. Still covered them at home. Still went to the league tournament.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone understands the importance of front-page visuals! Thank you!

11. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Except there are way fewer vendor boxes around here. And the dwindling number of convenience stores that carry more than one paper hide their stands behind the corn chips, so I don't think people without X-ray vision are grasping the importance the way I do.

But when they do, a lot of bags of corn chips get crushed in the rush.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

How many readers in Cedar City care about SUU sports? Those in St. George don't care.

Draft saved Draft deleted