1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorothy Bland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You were white and charming. Unbeatable combo.

Now you don't drink those 3 Bud Lights and drive again, mister.

Thanks, Mr. Officers!

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's no way you blew a 0.14 and they let you go. No way.

They let you go and then you go plowing into someone? And it comes back that they had your ass and let you go with a 0.14 Breathalyzer? Welcome to a career as a security guard at Mega-Low-Mart.

franticscribe and Songbird like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So what was the point then? Presumably it read .00 or .01. They couldn't get it to work, I remember, so maybe it did register .14, but they realized by that point it was a malfunctioning piece of equipment.

4. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Maybe you're just trolling and I took the bait or maybe you just can't help yourself because you're an idiot. Unless you are bringing some sort of first-hand knowledge to the situation, I would hope I'm not alone in being sick of the way you and others of your mindset cavalierly throw around the tired "Affirmative Action hire" BS.

Grow up.

5. doctorquant

Don't know. But I have to believe there's some sort of log of readings they have to keep and answer for. Otherwise you could see a lot of, as they say, collective bargaining during traffic stops in which DWI might be in play. "Well, Mr. Whitman, our little machine here is saying 0.09, which means we need to take you in. We think it might be malfunctioning, though. Unfortunately, it costs about $250 to recalibrate it and me and Officer Thickskull there only have $50 between us."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're lucky you had three. If you said you just had two beers (which is the cliche answer for every stinkin' drunk), you'd have been in handcuffs.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, unless one of the cops was ...

[​IMG]

Ace likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe Dorothy Bland genuinely felt that the two white cops who stopped her were racially profiling her.

She may even be right. If Rocky Balboa was jogging in his gray sweats and chasing chickens in the path of a pickup, maybe they shrug and let him go.

So in her mind, she was stopped for jogging while black. And even if the police were polite, they only stopped her because she was black.

Her biggest issue as a journalism dean was that she was unable to put together a well-written op-ed piece that demonstrated what it really felt like to be detained by police. Her indignant -- look at my resume --- tone didn't do her, the police or the DMN any favors.

cranberry likes this.
  9. doctorquant

Well said.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think another part of the problem is that she lacked the understanding of standard police protocol. She didn't start to act upset or bothered until the one cop asked for her ID, a standard part of any police interaction. That's when she started taking pictures and acting shocked. Everything until that point was pretty cordial. In her mind, that might have seemed like they were trying to figure out if she was a criminal or not instead of it just being protocol.

Sidenote: Why does anyone walk on the street like this when there is a sidewalk available? I run in my neighborhood all the time, always on the sidewalk. But I still always see people running and walking on the street, forcing cars to swerve or stop to miss them, when there is a sidewalk available.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In the dark, streets might seem safer because sidewalks can tend to have concrete that buckles because of tree roots. Easier to trip.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe she believed she was racially profiled.

Draft saved Draft deleted