1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Craig Schmidt - aka Frank Ridgeway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

The Greenville travel piece is gold. It's all the evidence you need to know Schmidt loved the craft. His posts as Ridgeway were an education in journalism.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sad to hear about that. He was always quick to advise job seekers to shine their shoes. Timeless advice.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Very sad news. Didn't know Craig in real life, but had some interactions with "Frank" here and, like others, learned from his insight.

RIP, Craig Schmidt.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Just want to say I didn't know Frank personally, but I liked this guy. He was respectful of others, had great insight and came across fair and open-minded. Just from his posts you could tell he cared and was sincere. He wasn't here to be an ass like I can be sometimes. One of those people you can really learn something from. I'll miss reading him.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Also from his brother-in-law via Facebook for those who are interested. Amy is coming up, Cranberry and I are going to meet her and attend. Let us know either here or via PM if you're going to be there, too.

Hi Folks,
    We have an update for Craig's memorial service. It will be at the Day Funeral Home from 2 - 4PM this Sunday 11/1/15. The address, phone number and web site are below.

Day Funeral Home
    361 Maple Place
    Keyport, NJ 07735
    Tel: 1-732-264-1352

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of my proudest board moments was when he thought my choice of shoes was a good one.

Cole Haan airs. Still wear them as well.

He was one of the good ones.

Amy likes this.
  8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Craig/Frank was one of our best posters, for sure.

Sent him a PM when the Daily News cuts were announced. It was a bit of a thaw for us as we didn't always see eye-to-eye. (Suffice it to say he was not one for TV reporters.) But I certainly respected his knowledge and professionalism.

56 is way too young. All the best to his family. I will miss his insight.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn. I didn't know him personally but had many little interactions here. A titan of this place and, not surprising to hear, many other places that were more than just an online lounge.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

For so many years, Frank Ridgeway was one of the best reasons to visit the site. He was part of a core group that kept me coming back. As others have noted, he loved the craft, and he shared his knowledge here in a way I thought befitted a well-dressed man: sharp, polished, and not put together by accident, not without deliberation and smarts. I loved his handle, as it reminded me of Word Man from "Eddie and the Cruisers," and of the caesura scene, and the love of words — but mostly that it always made me think of a movie that came out my first year in the business. Heck, my first month.

Losses like this are harder on the families and loved ones they leave behind than they are on our extended family, but we feel them too. They're starting to pile up. Ron Drogo. Craig Stanke. Larry Cathey. Craig Schmidt. Some whose names I can't recall. They all touched us in some way, and most of them were our best teachers and voices of reason, and each in their own voice. They are missed, and will be.

My heart goes out to his family, and to Amy, for losing a friend and for the painful reminder of the loss of her Craig.

R.I.P., Frank Ridgeway. I'm going to wear my nicest pair of shoes to work today.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just found out about the passing of perhaps the most intellectual poster at sj.com. He will be missed and definitely remembered. RIP

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. Craig and I never crossed paths in the business, but I knew the kind of journalist he was, and the profession is worse off because he's not in it.
    Damn, this business just sucks.

RIP, Craig.

Draft saved Draft deleted