1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean's David Climer retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 23, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Is this a #NewGannett thing or a legit retirement?

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Gotta be a #NewGannett thing. Heard of others throughout the chain who were offered, then coerced into taking, an early retirement offer, and their last week is the same week.

4. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Round of buyouts throughout #NewGannett

5. It's true. David Climer, a colleague, a mentor, a friend and a great journalist is leaving The Tennessean. His last column will publish Oct. 30. It will be a sad day when the cubicle next to me is empty.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He was going to wait for the Titans to get good again, but then remembered he's not immortal.

Hate to see it.

7. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

I'm gonna assume a buyout. I think John Fay, longtime Reds beat writer in Cincy, took a buyout as well.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of really quality people are leaving Gannett in the next couple of weeks. The kind of people who had devoted followings in the paper.

9. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

But as Gannett has proven through The Hunger Games in each newsroom and now this, they really don't care about loss of institutional knowledge or those with devoted followings leaving.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It's no secret they are doing buyouts, right? Free Press sports editor just took one, too.

11. DownSouthDeskDude

DownSouthDeskDude New Member

Yeah, names are starting to trickle out. Rick Brown of the Des Moines Register. Lyndal Scranton in Springfield, Mo. Jennie Rees, the horse racing writer at the Courier-Journal in Louisville. Some great writers. Sad.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What sucks for the public is that these writers are embargoed for the length of their buyout agreement. Not sure what is allowed and what isn't, but I figure it is basically a year-long non-compete.

Draft saved Draft deleted