1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new "Star Wars" trailer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2015.

1. From Robot Chicken's perspective:

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My uninformed theory is that Kylo Ren was/is Luke's apprentice/son/nephew who was in training to be a Jedi but went to the Dark Side.

As a result, Luke went into hiding and is manipulating force sensitives from a distance and putting them together to fight Ren and the first order.

Ren is on the hunt for Luke to either flip or kill him. Leia and some others are also looking for Luke as he's the last remaining trained Jedi, or so they think, and they aren't aware of his behind the scene machinations. They are also trying to stop the construction of some solar system eating machine.

But some believe Luke has flipped and Ren is Luke's dark side apprentice and are looking to kill him.

Luke doesn't make an appearance until the end when he is killed by someone in the good guy group, maybe Oscar Isaac's character, because they thought he had flipped.

The movie ends with Ren rising and only a ragtag collection of force sensitives and Leia/Han/another old familiar face back as a Jedi to train them.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can buy almost all of that except it's been widely reported that Hamill has already been busy on shooting for Ep. 8.

One semi spoiler from the latest trailer I've seen discussed which may lend a clue: there's a brief clip of a tear-streaked Rey huddled over a large, shaggy, furry form.

That would explain the Leia/Han tearful embrace shot.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Made a mistake by taking my daughter to barnes and nobles...they had the new star wars legos. Checked them out. Cool stuff. There are a lot of characters not shown...and they show rey and finn flying the falcon.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A good bit of the spoilers and speculation out there has been fueled by the toys, which often offer a better view of the characters, vehicles and sets than we can get in a quick trailer.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Very true...which is why I have avoided them. But the toys were just there next to the books my daughter was looking at....it was like being keith richards and finding free heroin

7. Starman

I still have the feeling that TFA will end -- or maybe Ep. 8 will open -- with Han Solo dying in a galaxy-rattling solar-system detonating rescue mission in which the good guys are saved from extermination.

SW lore for 30-some years has always maintained that Harrison Ford wanted a blaze-of-glory ending for Han in ROTJ but he was overruled by Lucas. Maybe now he'll get it.

If the spoiler I referred above is correct and Chewie dies before the end of TFA, that makes sense if Han dies soon after -- Chewie without Han is a real third wheel, excess baggage.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I've seen this pretty much stated as fact more than once in the past few days, and I'm quite certain I will cry if/when it happens.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hope not, but I'm guessing at least Chewbacca goes somewhere in these three movies. They took him out in the Expanded U as well, but never had the nerve to kill of Han, Leia or Luke.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought I read that they did kill off Han?

11. Starman

I think they'll strip away the Big Three one at a time. Chewie will be a harbinger of sorts before Han goes.

I'm thinking Lando Calrissian will reappear in Ep. 8; I have a feeling he's got something to do with Finn.

I'd guess Luke will die at the end of Ep. 8 and probably reappear in Ep. 9 as a Force Ghost.

I could either see Leia dying in Ep. 7 -- if they don't think Carrie Fisher will be able to carry a significant script load in 8 or 9 -- or she could live through the whole series.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At least they all genuinely look like they've aged like real humans.

Hats off to George Lucas for not casting a youn Tom Cruise.

Draft saved Draft deleted