1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Radio thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Just the facts ma am, Oct 16, 2015.

1. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Unless it's a situation that Ethier had thought over before the play happened or previously discussed with Dodgers coaches on what to do in that kind of situation, in the moment you're going to go with your instincts and make the catch. That foul ball situation happened too quickly to truly think through the implications of catching/letting it drop in the moment.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

People bickering and acting like assholes? Right at home on the Sports Radio Thread.

Liut and SFIND like this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

An absolutely useless comparison unless you believe the infield should be playing in for every situation.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Was the Dodger infield in in this situation?

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Chris, your play is the losing play. That's what you don't seem to understand.

Sure, maybe Ethier didn't know it at the time. But I did. My first instinct was right. Let it drop. See what happens. As it turned out, he allowed the winning run to score. Are you going to fucking dispute that too?

And don't tell me that goes against the fucking rules of baseball. There are no rules in the postseason. You do what you fucking have to, to give yourself a chance at winning. Ethier fucked up.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Doc, go back and check. The run that came in was the TYING run, making it 2-2 in the 4th inning. Murphy's homer later was the winning run. The point I've been trying to make all along is, it was the 4th inning, the Dodgers had rallies every inning and seemingly had deGrom in trouble. It wasn't unreasonable to think they would score again.
    A few minutes ago, Harold Reynolds said it in regard to the Royals leadoff batter hitting a triple and coming home on a grounder. He said that getting the out is more important than giving up the run at that point. First inning, yes.
    Your instinct would be right if it was the 8th, 9th or extras. Not the 4th.

studthug12 likes this.
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Tying run, winning run, fourth inning or ninth inning, it makes no difference. You don't make a play that allows a run to score in the postseason when you have other options. That was my thinking and I was right. They lost.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Well, dude, you're wrong. So let's leave it at that.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're the guy who wins with 2-7 off suit against AcES and thinks it's a smart move.

Do you play the infield in every time there's a man on 3rd less than two outs?

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I like Czaban's national morning show, but I only get a half-hour of it before the local morning show cuts in.

Liut likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Blue jays allowed a run in the first in exchange for an out. Idiots.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can always download the podcast on iTunes. The previous hour is usually posted by :15 of the next hour. Whole thing's up by 9:15 EST.

Draft saved Draft deleted