1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 5 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Oct 5, 2015.

1. I don't think dogs are legal on offense.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

NFL: There was clock error at end of Chargers game - NFL.com

NFL acknowledges clock error late in Monday night's game. San Diego kicked off with 2:56 remaining and somehow 18 seconds ran off before the Steelers ran their first play from the 20 at 2:38. Inexcusable mistake by the clock operator and side judge (whose job it is to back up the clock operator), but this is also on Tomlin. How is nobody on the Steelers' staff watching the time in those situations?

I posted before that Bell's touchdown makes this a lot less of an issue, though you could argue that the Chargers might have liked to have those 18 seconds, but this kind of thing should not happen.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It shouldn't, but we're going to be sick of this story by the time Phillip Rivers gets a four-game suspension.

4. outofplace

Okay, I'm missing something on Rivers, but I'm sure the news cycle on the clock error is just about over.

JC likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bad joke comparing him to Brady.

schiezainc likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When you read the Wells report, you understand just how many freaking people the NFL employs, who are at a game. Admin layered on admin. That they leave the clock operation to a local yokel is insane.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

They don't. Well, they do, but the officials are in charge of the clock and can request an update at any time. It's on them that it is correct.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the story behind, I think it was, Browns' single game receiving yards record. As I recall the story, it was during the 1987 strike. For the third game with the replacement players and the strike near an end, Gary Danielson and Brian Brennan crossed the picket line, with their teammates' approval, to try to steal a win that week.

They go off against the replacements, Brennan piles up the yardage, the game's a blowout, then the Browns' brass were trying to call down to get Brennan out of the game because he was going to break a record held by one of the Browns' old stars (Lavelli or Speedie, I don't recall which one) and they didn't want him breaking the record in a strike game.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

My guess is that was not unanimous.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Eliminator question. 5-0 so far. Thankful I swapped out Ravens for Giants during the sunday church sermon.

Now stuck. Switched to GB home vs Chargers but GB is one of the teams I'd prefer to hold onto for later.

Am I an idiot for switching to Vikes home vs KC? Predominant rule for me is take home teams vs weaker road teams until Nov 15 and them take the strong teams.

I'd had to move off picks of KC, Baltimore and New Orleans. Trying to find teams to replace them.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would think so too. They weren't the only team with players that did that. Looking it up, Steve Largent had a huge game for the Seahawks in that third strike game.

12. outofplace

That thought crossed my mind. Should have realized that was where you were heading.

And I'll leave it at that rather than give set off schiez and the other Patriots fanboys again. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted