1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Spurrier retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bronco77, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't buy this. He could help SC just as much or more by announcing this would be his final season, but riding out the rest of the season. I think he examined the rest of the schedule, saw 4-8 coming, and said, fuck it, let someone else take those lumps. Unless there' a health issue walking out mid-season is weak ass stuff.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure. He reminds me of a guy in my golf group who likes to strut around when he's winning but who always seems to have an urgent matter arise when he's obviously out of the money at the turn. He's the reason we now require you to put your money in the pot before the round. Most people would be embarrassed to be known as that guy, but this guy's not. Apparently, Spurrier wouldn't be either.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Old Lang Syne

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great coach (though he's nasty on his quarterbacks), but the guy can pout like nobody else.

5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

That 1990 Gators team is to college football was what Carl Perkins is to rock 'n roll. Appreciated by only a few, but influential for many.
    Probation kept all their home games off TV. In comes the Fun 'N Gun, winning nine games and blowing the lid off all preconceived notions of how to succeed in the SEC.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can't dislike a man who ripped off Dan Snyder.

Tweener and doctorquant like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Naturally I'm genetically inclined to despise the man...but you have to admit his presser today really solidified the comments that he quit on his team, the school, and its fans. He basically said, "I'm not having any fun and we suck so I quit." Then he tried to justify his whiny attitude by claiming he warned us all along.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd think Steve's resume would have been warning enough. They ought to have known what they were getting, and how it'd probably end.

11. mb

mb Active Member

He was there 11 years and responsible for the best run in school history. Pretty sure all reasonable Chickens are satisfied with the Spurrier era.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He took over a program that had one 10-win season and three bowl wins in 103 years of football and averaged 8 wins a year, had three straight 11-win seasons, an SEC East title, and won five bowl games.

They should be ecstatic for what they got, regardless of how he left.

Draft saved Draft deleted