1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I'm an SNL apologist and always WANT to like each episode, but that was one of the more uninspired episodes in recent memory. You have a great talent at the top of her game who was down to do anything (and never break character while doing it), and you can't even help put Amy Schumer in some funny sketches? That's sad. ... In some seasons, SNL has so many people in the cast that it results in a disjointed final product. I think this might be one of those seasons.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The best SNL episodes are when the host is capable and willing to get in with the writers and come up with stuff that is going to work for them. Schumer is definitely capable, but I wonder of she had any dynamite sketch ideas if she would toss them out in the SNL writers' room or keep them for her own show.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

She's always seemed pretty savvy about her career to me, and even now, SNL is seen as a big effin' deal to fellow comics, I believe. It's obviously just speculation, but I'm assuming the problem lies more with the SNL side of the ledger than her's, given the success of her show and Trainwreck.

4. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is what I think too. She was clearly flattered to be there and would have been willing to do whatever she could to make it a great show.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Trump, after NBC announced it was breaking ties with him. Bunch of lying sacks. I'm guessing that every writer and cast member will be working with a suit peeking over his/her shoulder that week.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think that's very accurate. They have too many people fighting for screen time now.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure this week will be good. A lot of cameos, some guest writers who want Morgan to kill it. I'd love to see a sketch with him waking up in a hospital and being stunned by how much the world has changed since his crash. What? Bruce Jenner? Playboy? Trump? The Warriors won the NBA? Am I high? Oh - THAT's legal now too. Damn!

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Considering he learned that his friend was dead when he woke up in the hospital, I don't think he wants to do a sketch about it.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Helluva lineup for the debate at the start. I'm going to show my abundant stupidity here ... but who was the moderator?

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Believe that was the lone new cast member, Jon Rudnitsky.

Draft saved Draft deleted