1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess that's not true. They did make fun of Hillary, but it is much more good-natured.
    That was a pretty supportive sketch, though.

Not that they shouldn't mock Trump, who deserves all of the derision anyone can heap upon him.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Shumer monologue: Golden.

(BTW, am I the only one who hasn't noticed she's kinda hot?)

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Other than Schumer's monologue (and that dress was awful on her, even though I find her quite attractive), I can't see a single reason to even smile so far, much less laugh. Is Cecily Strong on this show anymore? I haven't seen her yet in the first hour. She's the best cast member and I don't remember her in a single sketch yet.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

The intrigue is going to be on Tracy Morgan next week. I know he did well at the Emmys, but will he be able to keep up with live TV?

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agree on Schumers dress, and she was good, but the skits were awful. The airline skit especially.

6. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

With Tracy Morgan, just have him in about 3 sketches. One should absolutely be Astronaut Jones, which is a one-joke bit. The opening monologue doesn't necessarily have to be funny; that can just be a heartfelt thank you for having him back after such a tragedy, with a light-hearted kicker.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To piggyback on Lt. Drebin's remarks, and to be crass for a second - It wasn't exactly like he was keeping up with live TV when he was on the show. He was mostly doing stuff like Astronaut Jones and Brian Fellows, which I loved, but it was basically him making off-color remarks and being purposely disruptful.

8. sgreenwell

I couldn't find the vids on the main SNL Yahoo site - probably because they're on his "Best Of" DVD - but my favorite Astronaut Jones sketch was the one with Britney Spears, where she cracks up ever so slightly at the end: Britney Spears - Astronaut Jones (@ SNL 2002) - His "Best Of" DVD is pretty odd and interesting, by the way, since they clearly had to pad it with dress rehearsal skits and 12:30 to 1 skits, so, just a bunch of weird stuff. A couple Brian Fellows sketches, Astronaut Jones, one where he plays Shaq's father giving him a whooping, and best of all, a fake talk show with him and Rachel Dratch interviewing Jon Stewart: Watch Talkin' to the Stars with Rachel and Tracy From Saturday Night Live - NBC.com

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I remember watching the Spears episode with Astronaut Jones and wondering if Morgan went off script with that line.

She seemed a bit suprised by it.

I went down a YouTube wormhole once that started with Morgan being interviewed by a morning show where he took off his shirt.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

His "Best Of" DVD also pads the run time by including some of his appearances on Conan. They are wonderful. He's also similarly deranged on some Letterman appearances. "I'm just practicing my karate and trying to get females pregnant."

11. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Regarding the aforementioned Shaq skit, I believe Tracy at one point notes:
    "Nowadays, your momma's ass looks like a wet sack of LAUNDRY..."

Back in the day, Tracy was on a show called Uptown Comedy Jam, which I believe aired on WGN in the early '90s. He was pretty horrible back then, and it took him a while to understand which types of jokes of his audiences responded to. But when he found it, it was great, absurd comedy. His sex jokes are disgusting, yet hilarious. I hope he can get it back and legitimately continue his comedy career.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Disappointing that they could have her on and not come up with better stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted