1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 College Football Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 28, 2015.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Everyone's rock bottom is different. From my own experience working with alcoholics through my church I've seen people get far lower than where Sark is before hitting theirs.

I've heard it said that rock bottom is when a drink is no longer worth what you'll lose by taking it.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, "Trojan War" — the 30 for 30 on the Carroll era at USC — airs tonight.

Heard an interview yesterday with Keyshawn Johnson, who is one of the executive producers. Based on what he had to say, sounds like the doc will be every bit the hagiographic/apologetic piece of garbage that "The U" was.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Glad I have a dinner date tonight then. The U- Part 2 might be the biggest waste of time I've spent.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's any morals clause that USC will use to get out of paying the rest of Sarks contract. In any case, I'd bet the schools lawyers were cringing yesterday when Haden said "He is not healthy" when talking about them having to fire him.

Whether you think alcoholism is a disease or weakness, that can be a risky thing to say for a reason to fire somebody.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's possible they made him sign some sort of "official reprimand" paperwork after the Salute to Troy thing. If that was the case, they can probably fire him for cause and not pay him.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For all the talk of Chip Kelly coming back to college, when does talk heat up of an NFL team doing the opposite and trying to bring Harbaugh back to the league?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Haden really knows how to handle these coach firings, eh?

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So Haden doesn't know how to fire coaches, hire a decent coach or to be proactive in keeping USC out of the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

But his job is completely safe. Got it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's no Rhodes Scholar, that one.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed that Haden didn't charter a plane and fire Sarkisian while he was on the tarmac.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

USC sounds like a similar situation with as Pitt when the previous school president was there, who just believed Steve Pederson walked on water despite of all of his fuck-ups. One of the last things the president did before retiring was give Cheesy Steve a five-year deal.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Sark, who vowed to not use alcohol the rest of the season after the August incident, shows up bombed at the Sunday morning meeting. Helton gets him out of there. Sark doesn't show up for the 12:30 practice. Haden calls him and tells him he is suspended. A day later Haden has decided to fire him but Sark won't answer his calls. On a plane, in a rehab facility, whatever, he doesn't answer his phone.
    How long is Haden supposed to wait before making the official announcement? How long do Helton, the other coaches, the players, have to wait in limbo while Sark isn't answering his phone?
    Sorry Haden hurt Sark's feelings. Sorry you're all appalled about the method of notification. Sorry the media is taking the side of poor Sark who drank away his dream job.
    Let's be sorry for him because of his sickness, but let's not be sorry for him for losing his job.

Draft saved Draft deleted