1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Spurrier retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bronco77, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Saw this was mentioned elsewhere, but started a separate thread on it anyway.

Still remember well when he came to Florida in 1990, when the program was being left in the dust by Miami and Florida State. He made it a three-horse race.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe he's resigning because he finally has a chance to work at USC.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With UF running on a separate track since the Gators never actually PLAYED Miami under Spurrier until a bowl game in the 'Ol Ball Coach's last season there.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A good day for guys named Steve S. to leave the coaching field.

At least this one did it on his own terms.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dear Gamecocks: Thanks for visiting. Good luck back in The Land of Four and Eight.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for the "sleeping giant" of South Carolina to wake up. I'm guessing some young walking visor will end up with it.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They've tried going with the grizzled veteran twice in a row now, and it hasn't worked (i.e. gotten them to where they want to be).

Like Dan, I'd think they'd go young -- unless, unless, unless some major booster has a hard-on for Chip Kelly and will open up the check book.

8. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Another program ranked 10-15 spots higher at the start of the season that it should have been, primarily because of "mystique" that never materialized.

Nothing like basking in retirement in mid-season, either. Perhaps he will end up with a much-deserved hemorrhoid, and this program can go on the long losing streak it has coming.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They had three straight 11-win seasons under Spurrier. Maybe it wasn't ultimately "where they wanted to be," but it's where they'd never been.

I think Alabama DC Kirby Smart is probably the front-runner. Maybe Memphis' Justin Fuente unless he's holding out for a bigger job (like Miami).

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My guess is that they told him he wouldn't be back next year and he said "Screw it, time to go play golf."

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No way Spurrier would have been fired. Again, South Carolina had three bowl wins and one 10-win season in its history before he got there.

Spurrier's always been a guy who didn't live and die with football. For him to retire mid-season is not really out of character.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No way is Miami a bigger program than South Carolina now. That program is withering on a wine.

Draft saved Draft deleted