1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016 Class Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Oct 8, 2015.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I just spent the last 90 minutes writing an epic dissertation on the genius of Cheap Trick, accidentally left the page and lost it. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

So, instead of spending another 90 minutes rewriting "Moby Dick," I'll boil it down.

Go listen to "Surrender."

"Surrender" is the greatest rock and roll song by an American band. If you are driving somewhere with the windows rolled down and the stereo blasting, "Surrender" is the one. (I will listen to arguments in favor of "American Girl" or "Fortunate Son.")

I was up to nine reasons why they belonged when I blew out my post, but this one's enough.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Six first time nominees, six from the waiting list, two "Hidden Gems" (obscure but influential), two "Supernova" inductees (named on the merit of a brief but brilliant explosion across the pop music sky):

Cheap Trick
    Chicago
    Yes
    The Cars
    The Smiths
    Deep Purple
    The Moody Blues
    Combo entry: Joy Division/New Order
    Combo entry: The Guess Who/ Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    Soundgarden
    INXS
    Hidden Gem: Sonic Youth
    Hidden Gem: The MC5
    Supernova: Badfinger
    Supernova: T. Rex

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

My in-laws just went to the RRHOF. Before they left, I was asked if there was any specific memorabilia I wanted. Couldn't think of a band or artist I'm really into that is in. Anyway, I said, "Anything to do with the blues would be cool." Got a sweet DVD on Robert Johnson.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just listened to both. Nope; never heard either one before. If it's any consolation to the artists, they weren't horrible.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Alas, another year passes with no sign of Motorhead, Little Feat, Warren Zevon or Roxy Music on the ballot.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I may need to see the epic to believe the entire RRHOF debate because I agree on Surrender. That is what I posted in my "rant." Cheap Trick has two or three songs that are ultimate turn it up and sing along to. I just want to know if there is more to Cheap Trick's merits than just being "fuck yeah, it was senior year and I was drinking Coors and I nailed a hot chick while listening to Cheap Trick" explanation. That's a great thing to have, but to me, RRHOF bands need more than a rock zeitgeist .

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How old are the folks who are unfamiliar with the Smiths?

They were never my favorite -- a bit moody for me --- but they were as big a new wave band as there ever was.

It's interesting that they're considered a favorite to get in, but some of their contemporaries, like New Order, Depeche Mode, and maybe especially the Cure have never been nominated.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Zevon eventually will get in. One huge difference from the baseball Hall and the RNRHOF is that vote totals are never released; you never know if so-and-so was close to election, if they're rising or falling in the voting, etc etc.

What will happen, in fact it's happening already, is that the groups moving into the eligibility window will have spent must of their careers in the digital music age, in which the old markers like gold records, album sales, single sales and radio airplay don't really count any more. Heck, even the brief age of music video as a major factor in a band's artistic resume (roughly 1980-95) is fast receding in the past.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm 43. I know of Morrissey but have no knowledge of the Smiths

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Cure should be in already.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Heard a story that Morrissey hates the video for How Soon Is Now. Apparently put together from bootleg concert footage and the chick dancing by a fan.

I think he really nailed it though because it totally works. I haven't looked but I have never seen another Smiths video other than the one earlier in this thread.

I was never a New Wave guy but love The Smiths. Great sense of humor in their lyrics and Johnny Marr kicks ass.

Read that Morrissey is super popular with pompadour wearing Mexican kids.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dude, this was the band we all got wasted to AND blew out the speakers when we were driving.

If Chicago can be ruled out because of Peter Cetera (a pretty damn good ballad singer, while we're at it), Cheap Trick can be ruled in because of that. :)

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted