1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any amount of liquid water on Mars is a game-changer just in terms of future colonization. Desalinated water can be used to irrigate crops, and can be electrolyzed to produce oxygen to breathe and hydrogen for rocket fuel.

If life is indeed discovered, though, that'll put the kibosh on colonization for many, many years. Can't pollute Mars with terrestrial organisms while we study it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Federation wouldn't allow it. The Prime Directive, you know.

bigpern23 and HC like this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So I had the news on after the football game last night and the idiot anchors got the eclipse story wrong twice, in different ways.

First they called the event, "a rare supermoon." Uh, no, a supermoon happens four or five times every year. What's rare is a total eclipse of the supermoon.

Then they said, "there won't be another total lunar eclipse until 2033." No, total lunar eclipses are not uncommon. There won't be another supermoon total eclipse until 2033.

I found myself shouting at the TV, "No! You're wrong!"

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Science + Journalists = usually a bad outcome

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel the same way when they say "a ref was attacked." The referee is a specific official, the guy in the white hat. It's so commonplace that you just shrug and give up.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wish those four last words described the Kardashians.

bigpern23 and TigerVols like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So... First glimpse of aliens in the process of building a Dyson Sphere?

The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astr...ge_dips_in_brightness_are_a_bit_baffling.html

The strange star that has serious scientists talking about an alien megastructure

The money quote, from The Atlantic story (BTW, Wright is Jason Wright, an astronomer at Penn State):

“When [Boyajian] showed me the data, I was fascinated by how crazy it looked,” Wright told me. “Aliens should always be the very last hypothesis you consider, but this looked like something you would expect an alien civilization to build.”

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That is a very real concern. Some missions have been proposed to land a drilling rig on Jupiter's moon Europa, which has a subterranean ocean and is believed to be a candidate for extraterrestrial life. One of the things holding it up, besides the logistical difficulties and money, is the fear of contamination. Not just bringing our germs and such to Europa, but being certain that if we do find life it's actually alien and not something from Earth that hitched a ride.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted