1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thabo Sefolosha found not guilty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Atlanta Hawks' Thabo Sefolosha found not guilty in NYC arrest case

I love the fact that he refused to take the path of least resistance. The DA offered him a plea in which the charges would have been dismissed in exchange for one day of community service. But he took it to trial on principle. Good for him. It's bad enough the cops mishandled the situation so badly, even worse that they broke the guy's leg, but then the DA, of course, did the wrong thing and pressed the case at the behest of the cops.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm glad he got acquitted too. But still worth asking, would a black kid who's not a rich NBAer have gotten this result?

I suspect it no coincidence that when we finally see the black guy prevail in one of these cops vs. black guy cases it's the one where the black guy had a stack of millions and could pay defense counsel whatever was needed to win.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. The Big Ragu

Oh, I totally get that. And it pisses me off as much as anyone. Most people who end up in those situations don't have the resources to fight back. There are a lot of people in prison because they took a plea that gave them say 18 months or 3 years, rather than risking going to a trial they know they will lose, and get 10 or 15 years -- with bad, overworked representation and a rush job in front of a jury that isn't going to even listen critically to the case. Many of them are innocent, but they know they don't stand a reasonable chance, so they do the pragmatic thing rather than playing Russian Roulette with a system that F's them either way, but will F them even worse if they don't plea out. This was a relatively small thing. But I still loved seeing it.

Stoney likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted