1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 6 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 5, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Was just thinking how ridiculous this was. People actually thought he was a candidate.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Went to USC-Wash. last night. Aside from the shit coming down on Sark and the Trojans (totally justified), I hate it that ESPN sucks the life out of the stadium. First game I've attended that was televised by ESPN. The commercial breaks are so long that the entire stadium goes dead waiting and waiting for play to resume. You don't notice this watching on TV. Fucking ESPN.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Isn't that every network though? I've never noticed a difference in the stoppage times at a CBS game vs. ESPN, and I doubt Fox is much different.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell, even on TV I prefer DVRing games to ff through all the ads, reviews, penalties etc.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, CBS is by far the worst. Their afternoon SEC game pushes 4 hours every week.

At least the ESPN games start relatively close to on-time (say, maybe 6:02 for a 6 p.m. advertised kickoff). CBS has about an 8-minute preamble prior to kickoff.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Could be every game. I don't know. It just seemed like they were way long. Both teams seemed to get their business taken care of and there was still a lot of standing around waiting for the break to end.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Go look at his stats from last year, Shark, then get back to me.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I sure do. At least during the few minutes before I just turn it off and find something else to do.

Thursday night's Colts-Ravens game had this nice sequence:

FG with 2:02 left in the half. 3 minutes of commercials. Touchback. 3 minutes of commercials. Running play to get to the 2-minute warning. 3 minutes of commercials. Pass play. Time out. 3 minutes of commercials.

2 plays run in 15 minutes of actual time.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. SnarkShark

I looked at them, and they are unconvincing. I watch SC every week because my wife is a grad and a huge fan. He's serviceable on good days, but awful on the other end of the spectrum (like Thursday). With the talent Sark has recruited around him, scoring 12 points at home against Washington is inexcusable.

10. Songbird

4000 yards, 39/5, 70% completions are unconvincing and "serviceable"?

They opened at #7 and there was no reason to believe that with SC's talent he wouldn't have even better numbers this season.

"Ridiculous" is simply ridiculous.

11. Songbird

But I do like your wife a little bit more now.

12. SnarkShark

I always take college stats with a grain of salt, and a lot of his were racked up against some pretty bad defenses last year. A lot of his games against good defenses were ordinary.

But a Heisman candidate is someone who wins games, not someone who doesn't lose games, if you get what I'm saying. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a college quarterback who doesn't turn the ball over. I'd rather have him than most.

But let's not pretend he was ever a serious candidate.

Draft saved Draft deleted