1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School's out forever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 9, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I thought this was an RIP, Alice Cooper thread. Relieved.

3. Mr. Sunshine

This town must be balancing its budget with common core math.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The endgame of the starve-the-beast/ divert/defund and dismantle approach of the right wing toward public education and other public services, in tandem with the teabag ethos of "we don't wanna pay no goddamn taxes for nothin'."

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So its due to the Affordable Care Act, huh?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to play grammar police too much, but the story says "a 20-cent property tax increase".

I'm guessing it's per a certain amount, instead of just 20 cents. Because if it is just 20 cents, just sell a gun and things will be fine for 100 years.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So did I.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Oh consider me disappointed. I was rather hoping that talentless hack had shuffled off this mortal coil. Alas, I'll have to wait another day for an Abe Vigoda sighting on a Cooper thread.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Clay schools closed

"The percentage of people who pay property tax in Clay County is approximately 38 percent, while the percentage of people who pay the wheel tax is approximately 76 percent."

Had an issue with this. Why do only 38 percent pay property tax? Are there exemptions? Even if you're renting, it's not as if a landlord is eating the cost of property tax.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they mean only 38 percent directly pay property tax. Then again, I grew up reading the Herald-Citizen and learning to connect a boatload of dots with each article.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Well, he's put out a lot of schlock over almost 50 years, but Killer and Love it to Death are incredible albums. Billion Dollar Babies is pretty good, too.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

According to the interwebs, the county has exactly one private school. The Clay County Christian Academy, with a current enrollment of fourteen students. After that slow start, I guess they're ready to start raking it in hand over fist....

Draft saved Draft deleted