1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Postseason thread, aka: Will Mark Buehrle make an appearance?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 5, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That was me saying pitching Buehrle for two innings with home field advantage still within reach was stupid. The results of that game, or Games 1 and 2 of the playoffs matter not a whit to whether I was right (and I said as much in that thread, because even if the Jays won that game, they would not have gotten home field).

I was right. It was stupid of Gibbons and selfish of Buehrle.

Now, please, don't speak for me when you know not a thing about how I would have reacted if the Blue Jays won Games 1 and 2.

2. bigpern23

I mean, it was pretty funny. I don't want to live in a world where we can't make fun each other's dicks.

Big Circus and Spartan Squad like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was well timed, no doubt.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Great to see MLB is letting the visually impaired umpire playoff games.

steveu likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Do you really think LTL feels vindicated by the result of six games? Really? You really, in your heart of hearts, think he feels relieved that these six games "made his case"?

Sheesh, OOP. You're intellectually honest. You know damn good and well LTL's position on home-field advantage is informed by a HELLUVA larger sample size than six games.

6. bigpern23

Except I agreed with him that home field IS usually overblown, EXCEPT this year in Toronto. The evidence of 161 games (when I made the argument) overwhelmingly supports my position.

So, yeah, if he's crowing about a sample size of two games at Rogers Centre, he totally missed the point.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The visiting teams' 5-1 record thus far absolutely is evidence in favor of the homefield-is-overrated point. So is Texas' winning the two games at Rogers Centre. That these results bolster that case is not open to dispute.

Nobody with a clue -- and I'll gladly put bigpern23, OOP and LTL in that group -- thinks these pieces of information are sufficient to carry the argument.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was clearly a major issue for the Blue Jays this year. Regardless of how you view home field advantage in general, you had a point regarding Toronto this season.

Despite LTL's claims, nobody said it was impossible for the Blue Jays to lose at home. All home field did was improve their odds. Just like all spending money to bring in better talent does is improve a team's odds. Just because home field doesn't guarantee victory doesn't mean it lacks value entirely. That's why your point about Buehrle made sense.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

God, Phil Cuzzi has been terrible. Both sides have been victimized by his "strike" calls.

JC likes this.
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Phil Cuzzi needs to die in a fucking fire.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why? Doesn't he swing a big enough dick?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The record of the team without home-field advantage in series since 2012 (including WC as an individual series):

2014 7-2
    2013 3-6
    2012 6-3
    2011 4-3
    TOTAL 20-14

--The road teams' record in the wild-card game is 6-2.

--In other series that reached the limit since then, the road team is 5-3 in the deciding game.

--oop's wife is one frustrated woman.

Draft saved Draft deleted