1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, again, gun violence is multiple things, right?

To stop "mass shootings" you need to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

Almost every single one of these guys was mentally ill. Their parents knew it, and in most cases, a doctor, or a school, or a government agency knew it too,

It should be really easy to put them on a list of people not allowed to own guns. I wouldn't even let a gun in the house where they are living except under maybe some very specific circumstances.

And, I know Dick worries that folks won't seek treatment. Well, maybe that opens up another issue, but it likely wouldn't prevent us from stopping the mass shootings we've encountered.

Almost all of these folks first dealings with the mental health system happened when they were teens, and involved their parents, so it's unlikely they would have avoided the mental health system in order to keep the ownership of a gun an option.

I would also employ data mining.

If someone orders body armor and lots of ammunition over the internet, in a short amount of time, and especially if he has a history of mental illness, and has posted suicidal messages on social media, and is an unemployed male between 18-28, I might think we'd want to take a look at this guy.

Songbird likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No profiling!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

20-to-1 it wasn't by firearm, as those attempts have a success rate of more than 96 percent.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with anything you said except your first line. To me, gun violence isn't multiple things. It is violence with guns. When I talk about stopping gun violence, I'm not just talking about mass shootings, but also gang violence, robberies, break ins, jilted lovers shooting their ex, any form of violence that involved the use of a gun.

I think what you mentioned are fine ways of curbing mass shootings. But as several (including yourself, I believe) have said, mass shootings make up a small percentage of the whole gun violence pie. What about the rest?

5. YankeeFan

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Very relavent to what is going on 240 years later.

Is this your new thing, to scour twitter and cut and paste?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Speaking of people who don't understand gun laws.

Federal law only applies to those with FFLs regarding sales.

Some states have much stricter laws than what the Feds have.

I have not studied Hillary's proposal at any great length but when I think of closing the gun show loophole, I mean not allowing private sales at gun shows and all sales have to be made or conducted by someone with an FFL.

That loophole, unregulated sales, most certainly exists.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Stop seeking out multiple sources on things and focus on your own thoughts!

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It is true people don't credit the French government enough for its role.

10. Mr. Sunshine

We named fried potatoes after them. What more do you want?

11. YankeeFan

LOL what makes you think I don't understand this. We were talking about federal law, and how it applies to gun shows, and if there is a loophole for sales that occur there.

Duh. Is that in debate? Were we discussing this? Does closing the gun show federal "gun show loophole" have anything to do with this?

I'm shocked!

Yes, private sales, made between two people living in the same state, don't require a background check. This has nothing to do with whether or not they happen at a gun show.

This is all a whole lot of fix for something that is not a problem. It's a talking point.

Guns from private sales, and/or guns sold at gun shows, have not been turning up in mass shootings, or in other crimes.

And, I'd really love for you to backup your example of someone who "literally" sells "thousands" of guns at gun shows, and does not have an FFL.

Does such a person exist?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've been about changing federal law to end unregulated gun sales so that they have made or conducted by an FFL.

You think it is OK to for a convicted felon to cruise down to a gun show, find a private seller and buy the gun of his choice and not have to present ID or undergo any kind of check.

Because that can happen now because the law allows for it.

Some people, like me, think that shouldn't happen and that the law should be changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted